Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New Welding Process
- - By David Beitz Date 11-13-2015 14:01
http://nextbigfuture.com/2015/10/new-welding-technique-can-weld-un.html

What's everyone's take on this new process and how long do you think till it gains industry acceptance?
What are the potential hurdles?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-13-2015 15:16 Edited 11-13-2015 15:22
Yes, soon we will all be able to "bond" copper to titanium or iron to magnesium.

Then we can make..... Um.... Er.... Well, stuff !

Well the stuff will have to be thin, almost foils.

Let's see, practical applications !??!??   Autos might benefit from alum/steel, but it's doubtful this process could ever "bond" a complex contour...

But hey.  Go "The Ohio State".    

Science gotta science, and they will prolly discover some practical stuff on accident whilst they are "bonding" titanium to copper foils.

PS:  Welcome to the forum David
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-13-2015 15:35
David,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

I think someone has been reading the Brown's Gas Reports again.

Wood to glass to brick to any grade of steel, etc, etc.

Some things need to be left alone.  They are what they are, uses for super glue or JB Weld.  But not "WELDING".

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 11-13-2015 19:14
I disagree with Lawrence and Brent, because this is a new variation on the decades-old process of explosive welding, and is also an alternative to resistance welding that should make the process cheaper and more controllable. I think that the major applications are going to be in sheet-metal cladding and joining, and I think considerable development and testing will be needed, as well development of more versatile equipment.

Calling it a "new process" on the scale of FSW is a stretch, and almost three decades later, we still aren't making friction-stir welds in our back yards!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-13-2015 19:51
You are correct from several points.

New technology, even if only an adaptation of old technology, should never be discouraged.  My bad.

Sometimes it strikes me like the cure all drugs or exercise or one size fits all clothing, etc.  I lashed out too quickly.

Often times we need some changes to an old process that didn't quite pan out and all of a sudden there is viable application. 

I speak for myself.  Lawrence has a lot of background and has seen a lot of processes and applications I can only dream of and when he has questions I have to wonder.  But, I should be more supportive.  Where would we be without those who have tried to do what others laughed at.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-13-2015 20:05
I saw the similarity to explosive welding too :)

That process has pretty limited application, and why I suspect contoured "bonds" will remain an ongoing challenge :)

I hope it works great :)
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 11-13-2015 21:09
I think that the best application will be, if equipment can be developed, as an alternative to resistance welding.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-14-2015 06:37 Edited 11-14-2015 07:07
Um, the terminology used in this brief article is not only confusing, it's also not scoring points for me in the accuracy and knowledge of the author... For example the title of this topic: "New Welding Process" and yet there isn't "welding of dissimilar metals." Instead, it's actually a new bonding process to be used for joining to different metals together. So the use of conflicting terminology can be at the very least confusing to some folks that don't always pay that much attention to details...

And there's more: " Seen under a high-powered microscope, the bond is actually quite beautiful, and often features delicate curlicues in spots where veins of both materials extend outward and wrap around each other." Now that statement alone is revealing in itself in distinguishing the difference between a bond and the "coalesence"otherwise known as fusion of two metals or alloys which would define some sort of welding process being used... In FSW, there is a significant difference in the make up of the metallography found in the fusion zone in comparison to this new "bonding" process... And the using of just high voltage capacitors alone can be enhanced to offer more improved performance and customizable instead, with the use thyristor controls, or inverters as well as high speed digital processing and as low resistant conductors as possible. Even the relatively new room temperature superconductor material (Actually it hasn't been developed yet, but soon! -70 Celsius is the closest so far and that involves cryogenics which complicates the design) can also be used as part of more accurate and precise components combined together in releasing a specific amount of electricity that can be customized for even more optimal "bonding."

So in the last paragraph the term "bonding" was used mainly to describe this new process.. Here is where it can be confusing to some including the author f this article when this paragraph is read... "So far, the engineers have successfully bonded different combinations of copper, aluminum, magnesium, iron, nickel and titanium. They have created strong bonds between commercial steel and aluminum alloys—a feat which is impossible normally. Also, high-strength steel and aluminum join together with weld regions that are stronger than the base metals." IMHO, the term joining would be better to use as opposed to using weld instead...

And finally, the use of  the phrase "impossible normally" raises the question as to whether or not the author has knowledge of a variation of the GMAW process developed by Fronius and described another method of transferring the filler metal known as Cold Metal Transfer, or "CMT." They - meaning the developers of this process variation of explosive welding, or bonding? Also claim this: "The technique is powerful enough to shape metal parts at the same time it welds them together, saving manufacturers a step." When I see it, I'll believe it.:eek::roll::grin::lol::twisted::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-14-2015 17:26
BTW  The lads a Letourneau University are also welding steel to aluminum with Friction Stir process... I held samples in my hands on Thursday..

Good to see you Henry !
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 11-16-2015 14:43
In reference to research-presentation style, I just checked out LeTourneau. In addition to their tooling and induction heating innovation, it seems they have extra-curricular resources in FSW, judging by the video below!:grin::grin::grin:

https://vimeo.com/album/2861942/video/90897046
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-14-2015 21:59
Henry! Your Back!

Good to see you lad!!

Al
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 11-16-2015 21:52
I've been forecasting for years that one day welded assemblies will be made by simply placing parts in a fixture, then push a button and Presto!, all the joints fuse together.
Looks like this is one of the steps toward making that a reality....

Tim
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New Welding Process