Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MIG Guns
- - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 11-16-2015 14:32
Anyone use FUME EXTRACTION MIG GUNS in a manufacturing environment.
Did a demo at fabtech at the Miller booth appeared to work pretty good. Gun with hose appeared pretty light in weight.

Feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 11-16-2015 22:01
Personally, I like them and wish I had one years ago when I was doing a lot of heavy FCAW.

A couple years ago, I brought one into the fab shop I'm in now to try out, where we're doing pretty clean GMAW.
The Welders freaked out because the gun was bigger and heavier. All I heard was "I can't use it because it's too big to fit where I need it." and "I can't use it because it causes porosity."
No one would give it a fair shake.

Tim
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-16-2015 22:34
Typical.  Not just with welders.  Heaven forbid we should ask someone to alter their paradigm or think outside the box. 

Been doing it this way for 40 years, why would I want to think about my lungs now?

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- By Paladin (***) Date 11-17-2015 04:30 Edited 11-17-2015 16:21
About 20 years ago I worked  in a trencher manufacturing shop that was heated and air-conditioned. They purchased a Lincoln vacuum system for smoke removal.

No one liked the Tweco ( IIRC) smoke eater guns at first. It was like welding with a firehose compared to a regular MIG gun. But I got use to it after a while (built up extra arm strength) and liked it OK.
It worked pretty good with a fillet weld sucking most of the smoke. A butt weld less so. Sometimes it would suck your shield gas away.

I did like not breathing all that flux core smoke.

What I did not like the most was that this Lincoln unit was made to be installed OUTSIDE.
The lovely, thoughtful management put it INSIDE the shop RIGHT NEXT TO ME, and others.
It had the most obnoxious high pitch howl you could imagine for 8, 10, 12 or more hours a day.

At each weld station a 3inch line dropped down from the main 6 inch line. From the 3 inch a smaller hose hooked up the smoke eater gun. At the bottom of the 3 inch was a trap door that one could let debris, flux, out of the line when the vacuum was OFF.
We had a fellow, lets just say his native language was not English, that was playing around with the trap door while the vacuum was ON. It had a powerful suction and would snap that door shut with the vacuum on.
Somehow he managed to let his welding hat get sucked up the 3 inch line. His hat was never seen again.

I'm sure, I hope, they have improved since then.

Floyd
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / MIG Guns