Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Inspections Trends for Nov, 2015 Great as Usual
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-19-2015 00:58 Edited 11-19-2015 01:44
Another round of applause is due to the editorial staff and authors of the recent IT.

Carl Tacker, one of our regulars here on the AWS Welding Forum, put out an article describing the role and responsibilities of TPI's.  Great advice for newbies and a great reminder for old timers. 

Editor Mary Ruth put out an interesting article.  Sometimes we don't see some industries as needing welding inspections.  Who would have thought about a CWI in a Flexible Hose Manufacturing facility? 

And more good info about applications of RT and PAUT (phased array UT). 

Always good stuff to keep us all informed about what is going on.

Good job Carl.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-19-2015 01:12
Another vote of approval for Carl.

Al
- - By dick (**) Date 11-19-2015 06:04
I agree some real good info that some times may go unnoticed,thanks Carl.

Speaking of IT, I just read an article in the January, 2011 edition, by Al on writing WPS's. On page 33, Fig. 3 titled Annex B-2 there is some info on intermittent fillet welds (really good info). Was wondering where this block of info came from (maybe AWS A2.4-2007, being that it appears that is where he found this annex. I couldn't find it in our AWS A2.4-98 book (maybe it was added later). Just wondering as we do a lot of parts calling for intermittent welds. Would just like to trace it back to its origination. Any ideas where to look.
Thanks,
Dick
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-19-2015 22:21
Are you sure his information wasn't from B2.1?

Brent
Parent - By dick (**) Date 11-20-2015 01:43 Edited 11-20-2015 06:55
Brent,
I don't believe so, this article says, intermittent fillet welds shall begin and terminate at the ends of the joint. The end welds shall be no less than two-times the specified segment length. Plus some other good stuff, remember reading this some where else, but for the life of me, I can't remember where. Oh well I'll keep looking.:confused:I need help, Al :smile:
Thanks,
Dick
- By ctacker (****) Date 11-19-2015 14:01
Thanks guys!
- - By In Tension (**) Date 11-19-2015 18:55
Is there a way to view new issues of Inspection Trends online?  They usually send an email with a link but I must have got skipped this quarter.  Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I received a hardcopy in the mail either.  Hmmm....
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-19-2015 22:21
From the main page of the AWS Website use the button at the top titiled 'Publications'.  When you get that screen I believe it is the 2nd choice down on the right hand side of the screen. 

We've talked about this before but can't remember now, I think you have to be listed as a current CWI in order to access these.

While on the main page, go to the upper right hand corner and click on 'My Account'.  You can use your name or I always use my member number to sign in.  If you haven't been on before you may have to register and set up your password.  Then you can make sure your address, email, and other information is all correct.

Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Inspections Trends for Nov, 2015 Great as Usual