Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Text book for all basic to advanced welding
- - By dschlotz (***) Date 11-19-2015 13:34
The school where  I'm teaching has used the first listed text (Bohnart) here for the last 4 years. I have some problems with the books relevance in training students. Some of the information is over the top and difficult to teach because there is too much info for students to comprehend. The test at the end of the chapters are worded in such a way that I HAVE TROUBLE finding the answers, in the text, and I know most of the answers that they are looking for. Some of the answers are just wrong.

I'm looking to you guys an girls to help me find a simple yet accurate text that will illustrate GMAW, SMAW,GTAW, FCAW, OAW and cutting. Plasma cutting would be good also. These skills are what students need to go to work in todays.

I need to know the process to be able to get a text in my hands for review before I ask my students to spend a lot of money.

Below are the books recommended in the course outline that is in place at my college. I don't have experience with the bottom two.

Author Edward R. Bohnart  Title  Welding Principles and Practices 4E, publisher McGraw Hill   Date  (2011)

Author Jeffus  Title  Welding Principles and Practices 7th Edition  Date  (2011)

Author Bowditch, Althouse and Turnquist  Title  Modern Welding 11th Edition   Date  2013

Thanks
Dennis
Parent - By WeldorJoe (*) Date 11-19-2015 18:19
Hi Dennis,
Try reviewing a text book called "Welding" by David Hoffman, Kevin Dahle, and David Fisher.
One of the better ones I have found for straight forward welding education.
It's a Pearson/Prentice Hall publication.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 11-19-2015 19:17
Hello Dennis, I believe that is an age old issue for many welding programs and instructors. We have tried looking at different text books on numerous occasions and haven't been totally satisfied with any of them. There are other options coming "down the pike" so to speak though.

We are finding that some of the publishers are offering book "customization" providing that you have a certain minimum quantity that you are using, there are also options coming up for online book choices that can be had on a "by chapter" basis. That one is possibly going to be out next choice as we have groups of students who are taking welding as a supplement to say a diesel or machine shop program (we don't feel that they should be saddled with a book/workbook combination that is creeping up on the $200 mark).

We also find that some book offerings are very geographically inclined and don't necessarily match what we are dealing with in our specific area. I look forward to the responses that you receive here even if I cannot specifically give you any recommendations personally. Best of luck and regards, Allan
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 11-19-2015 23:03
I am currently using "Welding" by Hoffman, Dahle, and Fisher (Pearson).  It is pretty good.  Been using it for 3 or 4 years now.

I also used "Welding Principles and Practices" by Bohnart (McGraw) for many years.

"Welding" is probably a little easier to understand for those with marginal reading skills.  Plus it has a lot more white space around the text which is less tiring on the eyes.  And the pictures are more up to date.

I also like Lincoln's "The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding".  Plus it is VERY inexpensive compared to traditional texts. 

Lincoln's "New Lessons in Arc Welding" is an old, inexpensive, very basic standby too.  That was my test book when I was in welding school.  I think it cost 4 bucks at the time.

If your training is process specific, Miller's "TIG Handbook" might be the best stand alone training book ever written on TIG welding, plus it is up to date on the newest power source features like asymmetric wave, adjustable output frequency, and so on.

Miller's "GMAW Handbook" is pretty good too.

A lot depends on the level of training you plan on.  "New Lessons" might be OK for a Diesel guy taking 1 or 2 quarters of welding as a support class.  If you are turning out degreed welders I think either of the first two books I mentioned would be much more appropriate.

I have never used any questions out of any text book as I always thought I could do better.  I generate my own questions based on each reading assignment I issue, and they all require a narrative type answer.  I try to put a strong focus on conceptual understanding for the degree students.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-25-2015 01:47 Edited 11-25-2015 02:04
Welding Skills by RT Miller, published by ATP, is a very good book to teach basic welding covering all of the most commonly used processes... I have a second edition copy from 1997 so I'm sure they have updated this book to current information...

This book is divided into six sections: Intro to welding, OAW - Oxy Acetylene welding, SMAW, Gas shielded welding processes, Special welding processes and supplementary welding data... ATP even offers this updated book in electronic format as an Adobe digital book for students that lug around laptops and notebook computers to lighten up their load so to
speak.:roll::lol::yell::twisted::wink::grin::cool:

Here's the web page for the E- book as well as other recommendations for supplementary education materials:

http://www.atplearning.com/Welding-Skills-ATP-eTextbook-P852.aspx

Here's their Hard cover link for "Welding Skills":

http://www.atplearning.com/Welding-Skills--P842.aspx

Here's the entire collection of welding and metalworking books available by ATP:

http://www.atplearning.com/Welding-and-Metalworking-C30.aspx

Now as far as Lawrence is concerned, I don't think he pays that much attention to educational materials with his new line of work but then again, I may be incorrect in that presumption...:eek::roll::wink::grin::cool: I know that he has written a few excellent books I might add in conjunction with Larry Jeffus but other than that, "Only the shadow knows for sure...":wink::smile::grin::cool:
So I will give you links to his books that are written to conform to AWS SENSE EG 2.0 training guidlines... This first of three books  is for entry level welders:

http://www.cengage.com/search/productOverview.do?Ntt=Lawrence+Bower|181410022218396072665981024526486530&N=16&Ntk=APG|P_EPI&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial

Respectfully,
Henry
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-23-2015 18:05
I noticed our good friend Lawrence has not jumped in. I'm sure it is his modesty that prevents him for touting the book he authored.

You might send him a PM and ask him about the book he helped to write.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-23-2015 23:15
There are other instructors who are missing in this conversation as well.  Just wondering what some of them are using.

May start sending some PM's myself to see what I can find.

Brent
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 11-24-2015 01:03
Always has surprised me that here are not hundreds of welding instructors (and thousands of welders) on our industry's professional organization forum.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 11-24-2015 02:14
Yes Blaster, it does surprise me that there are not more of us active here. But you know what, even on LinkedIn I don't see good mechanisms in place to identify and connect groups such as ours. There are some, but they are still very disjointed and getting them to gel and come together is like pulling teeth without Novocaine. Best regards, Allan
- By 357max (***) Date 11-24-2015 16:10
Have the student's text books tested/determined to what grade reading level they are written to. Then test the students to determine their reading grade level. Select a text book 1 to 2 grade level reading below the median reading level of the class grade being taught. Also determine through the advisory board what is need to know and what is nice to know in the curriculum. Save the "nice to know stuff" for challenging the students.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Text book for all basic to advanced welding