Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CJP Groove Butt-Weld in Pipe
- - By Lucas Date 11-19-2015 13:51
I am trying to find something in the D1.1 that pertains to butt welding pipe. I have a 30'' OD pipe that we are joining end to end with a single bevel groove weld. We have an 1/8'' root gap with a ceramic backer around the inside of the pipe. Is there any chance this is a prequalified joint? I am a mechanical engineer who just received a CWI. Still very green and have very little knowledge on welding.
Parent - By In Tension (**) Date 11-19-2015 17:09
AWS D1.1 3.13.2.1, 2015
Welding procedures for joints welded with backing other than steel in which the weld is to be left in the as-welded condition without backgouging and welding from the other side are not prequalified.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-19-2015 22:27
Lucas,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Since you are on a 30" OD pipe you should have access to the inside, I have crawled as small as 18" and we regularly did 22".  As such, if your WPS specifies removal of ceramic backing after welding from the outside and weld back weld from the inside then YES, it would be prequalified.  If not removing the ceramic backing, then you must use steel or do a PQR prior to establishing your WPS. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Lucas Date 11-20-2015 17:45
We do crawl in and remove the ceramic backing. We currently don't have a WPS I am putting one together. We have a drawing showing the fit up and weld. So since we wont be putting a back weld in just a CJP from the top and then removing the ceramic it wont ever be qualified? We are doing a visual on it and then I think we are doing a dye pen on it and maybe mag. If it passes all of those would if be qualified? Also, I am struggling with the book to find out how much undercut is allowed.

Thanks
Parent - - By In Tension (**) Date 11-20-2015 20:07 Edited 11-20-2015 20:14
Your procedure can be qualified by testing per Clause 4, it just does not meet the requirements of prequalification without a backgouge and backweld.  MT and PT examinations, while prudent, will have no bearing on whether or not your welds/procedures are qualified.  Maybe if you give some more details, and what exactly it is you're trying to do, folks will chime in with some sage advice.
Parent - By In Tension (**) Date 11-20-2015 20:11
Oh yeah, undercut tolerances for production welds can be found in Table 6.1.  For test plates the undercut allowance is in Clause 4 Part B... 4.9, I believe.  Good luck!
Parent - - By Lucas Date 12-02-2015 17:57
We are welding 30'' 1/2'' wall a252 helically welded pipe together to create bridge piles. And they need to drive a bit down through them for field installation so a backer bar is not able to be left in. So we used ceramic and removed it. Where can I find what tests need to be done in order to qualify this weld procedure. On the end of the pile we are putting this grooved adapter in. the adapter slides into the pipe and we do a double bevel groove weld on this. I think this is considered prequalified since the backing is left in since it is part of the adapter. I think this is considered a B-USa-GF.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-02-2015 19:37
Clause 4, part B.

Al
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 12-03-2015 02:33
Lucas, Just because a weld joint is shown under figure 3.4, it still has to meet all the other criteria of clause 3 to be prequalified. You didn't specify what type of material the adapter is, and A252 is not a prequalified material.

Carl
Parent - By Lucas Date 12-03-2015 13:32
That's right.... I will catch on to this soon! So neither of what we thought would be prequalified.... So I was looking at clause 4 part b. And I determine from table 4.2 that with our 30'' pipe 1/2'' wall we need to do 2 reduced section tension tests and 4 side bend tests to qualify our procedure, base metal and filler material. So we would weld our set up and then cut the pipe down to the desired dimensions as listed in Figure 4.14 to get test specimens?

Thanks I really appreciate all the help with this.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / CJP Groove Butt-Weld in Pipe