Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Does this weld symbol follows AWS standards?
- - By Redline465 Date 12-03-2015 20:43
Could someone tell me if this weld symbol follows AWS standards? Why or why not?

[img][/img]

This weld symbol calls for a .12 x .25 fillet weld.
The steel angle is .25" thick being welded to rolled sheet metal that is .12" thick.

The reason for this symbol is that there are two different thicknesses of steel being welded together and the idea is to pour more heat and weld into the thicker material.

The argument against using this weld symbol would be that the best weld with the best penetration and best gun angle would match the thinnest material; meaning the weld symbol should be a .12 x .12 fillet weld and the gun angle at 45 degrees.

Let me know your thoughts, and if this weld symbol follows AWS standards or not.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-03-2015 23:27
Typically fillet size is determined by the thickness of the thinner member.

Is there a mechanical reason to go with a weld larger than a balanced 1/8" (.125) fillet?

If GMAW, than a 1/8" fillet is difficult... Why not a balanced 3/16 fillet?     If GTAW why not 1/8 ?

Also, if an unequal fillet is called out, information must be given to show where each leg size shall be placed...  Your symbol shows that the weld is unequal... But an exploded detail that showed leg placement would make it more correct.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-04-2015 03:35
Based on the 1/4 inch dimension, it appears the 1/4 inch leg is deposited against the plate/sheet and the other leg deposited against the angle member.

As for whether it is a proper AWS welding symbol, it is an unequal leg fillet weld. The dimensions of the weld length are indicated by the hatch marks and the dimensions provided on the drawing.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Redline465 Date 12-04-2015 17:21
Hey Al,

Just to be clear, is an 'unequal leg fillet weld' acceptable by AWS standards?
I cannot find this exact weld symbol on the AWS weld symbol chart.
Attachment: AWS-Welding-Symbol-Chart.pdf - AWS Welding Symbol Chart (476k)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-04-2015 19:20
The chart is a brief summary of typical welding symbols. You need to look at AWS A2.4, the actual standard.

Yes, an unequal legged fillet is permitted and there are welding symbols that address them.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-05-2015 03:36 Edited 12-05-2015 03:43
'5.2.2 Unequal Legs. The size of a fillet weld with unequal legs shall be specified to the let of the "Weld" symbol.
Weld orientation is not specified by the symbol and shall be shown on the drawing to ensure clarity."

One other note...  According to ANSI/AWS A2.4-98, 1. Basic Symbols The entire symbol is known as: 1.3 "Welding" symbols consists of several elements. Only the reference line and arrow are required elements. Additional elements may be included to convey specific welding information (see Figure 2). Alternatively, welding information may be conveyed by other means such as drawing notes or details, specifications, standards, codes, or other drawings which eliminates the need to include the corresponding elements in the welding symbol. All elements when used shall have specific locations within the welding symbol as shown in Figure 2. Mandatory requirements regarding each element in a welding symbol refer to the location of the element in every welding symbol. And one of the elements used in a welding symbol is called a "Weld" symbol (the letters "ing" are not used after spelling out the word Weld). 1.1 Weld Symbols. Weld symbols shall be shown in Figure 1. The symbols shall be drawn "on" the reference line (for illustrative purposes shown dashed).

Now, I don't have the latest edition of A2.4 but, it probably has either the same or similar description... Bottom line is this: The weld symbol is basically one of several elements when combined to their proper locations to become the "Welding" symbol, and only the reference line and arrow are required elements in order to show a "Welding" symbol... There's more in 1.4 thru 1.6 but I'm not going to spell it all out because I need to do some other stuff... Some other participants may add to what I wrote which is basically what Al was describing and Lawrence is correct in adding a detail drawing either on the same page or, referring to the detail drawing number in the tail of the welding symbol in order to locate it on another page.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-05-2015 17:11
Starting to feel a little better Henry?

I know it takes a while to begin to feel human again after a serious event.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Does this weld symbol follows AWS standards?