Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / What is a Weld Matrix?
- - By Welder Man Date 12-04-2015 10:55
What is a weld matrix? Can someone help me out, I have no idea what this is?
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-05-2015 04:13
A crystalline phase in an alloy in which other phases are embedded...  The principal metal in an alloy, such as the iron in steel... 
The metal constituting the major part of an alloy...

Since it's a non standard term, it is necessary to know how the term is written in relation to the actual topic that includes this term... Otherwise the term "weld matrix" may have more than one meaning or definition which would depend on the context in which it's being used as a term.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 12-05-2015 04:23
In what application are you meaning Welder Man?.....
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 12-05-2015 16:21 Edited 12-05-2015 17:29
The Weld Matrices I typically deal with are a kinda all inclusive spreadsheet (Excel) that identifies Weld #s, WID, P&ID, ISO #s, code references, etc. I've dealt with Matrix spreadsheets ranging from 5 to over 100 columns. Current Structural Weld Matrix has 36 columns, and the Pipe Matrix has over 40. Both are about 1.3 zillion rows long.
Had a gig a couple of years back that contained over 100,000 individual cells of data!!! The Contractor's QC had it messed up like a Soup Sandwich and I spent 3 weeks debugging it prior to Commissioning activities.

https://www.google.com/search?q=weld+matrix&sa=X&espv=2&biw=1323&bih=619&tbm=isch&imgil=c5POD2wq9fUlQM%253A%253BEBuhph2RiXMkXM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fweldingweb.com%25252Fshowthread.php%25253F1966-Tig-welder-purchasing-matrix&source=iu&pf=m&fir=c5POD2wq9fUlQM%253A%252CEBuhph2RiXMkXM%252C_&usg=__DnzcX2dYY3Wt7UKHT5MgXINQ12A%3D&ved=0ahUKEwiXqOn-nsXJAhURqoMKHXEfAVsQyjcIJQ&ei=ex5jVtf-B5HUjgTxvoTYBQ#imgrc=oXw_MPI5hwTqcM%3A&usg=__DnzcX2dYY3Wt7UKHT5MgXINQ12A%3D

I "guess" that's the matrix you are referring to. If not, then... refer to above suggestions.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-05-2015 19:14
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-06-2015 12:51
Keanu Reeves as the "Welder Matrix." Good one Larry!:lol::yell::twisted::grin::smile::cool:
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-06-2015 12:48 Edited 12-06-2015 13:00
Hi John,

Do you mean something like this?

http://matrix-eps.com/features/welding-quality-control-software.html

Here's a job opening for a document control clerk @ Spitzer Industries in Houston, TX:

http://www.spitzerind.com/careers/document-control-clerk

If you notice in the job description under General/Minimum Responsibilities, you'll read the following:

"Create weld matrix (structural and piping) from weld maps obtained from QC.
Updates matrixes with revised weld numbers from revised weld maps, enter reports.
Issue out weld/map matrix to Shop and Client inspectors using Weld Map Issued Log."

So a weld matrix used for welding management is basically a set weld maps which include, weld #'s, WPS's, Code references & reports and all sorts of welding and inspection related data usually put together in spreadsheet form unless custom software is used in aiding their creation... And in case you're wondering what a weld map is - otherwise known as weld mapping, here's a brief description:

Weld mapping is the process of assigning information to a weld joint to enable easy identification of its design (WPS), production (welders, their qualifications, date welded), quality (visual inspection, NDT) and traceability (heat numbers of materials joined & welding consumables)...Weld mapping should also incorporate a pictorial identification to represent the weld number on the fabrication drawing, in case the designer does not nominate a weld number.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 12-06-2015 22:40
Thats my take on 'Weld Matrix' its a map with all details about who welded, consumables, heat treatment, materials etc etc.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 12-07-2015 05:35
Yep Henry,
That would be one.
I like Larry's Welder Matrix too but unfortunately my advancing chronology has somewhat retarded my acrobatic abilities and unable to utilise that one to it's full potential.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / What is a Weld Matrix?