Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Well, First day of CWI Prep Class starts in the Morning.
- - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-06-2015 21:50
Well, It is finally here and I am ready to "Get It On" !!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-06-2015 23:05
Pay attention, listen to the lectures, read all the materials in preparation for the next day's class, keep up with the homework.

Stay out of the bar. Never mind the beer, it doesn't help you study. Even one beer is one too many.

AWS provides a good lunch, but a good dinner is important as well. Your brain needs food to work at its best.

Underline key word and phrases in you code book. I like to use red and green gel pens. The colors grab your attention. Use your room key as a straight edge when underlining.

High light all footnotes in the tables and write the footnote letter in red right beside the one in the book big enough to grab your attention. You've read it many times here in the forum; the correct answer is found in the footnote.

Do not use loosely held "sticky notes" to tab your code book. Use file tabs made by several different companies. They can be removed if you are careful. They are big enough to reinforce the page of the code book, so there is less likelihood of tearing a page.

Write "notes to self" in the margins of your code book, anything that might be of use to you. For instance; do you know the wall thicknesses of schedule 40 2 inch, 3, inch, 4 inch pipe? How about schedule 80? You can make a matrix in the back of the code book listing the diameter, schedule, and wall thickness.

When you look for answers for your homework questions, your starting point should be your index if you are using D1.1 (my personal favorite). If you don't find it in the index, you have to bulldoze your way through the code, so add an entry to the index now that you know where the answer is. A good example is the F number for the SMAW electrodes. I won't tell you the answer, but it isn't in the index, so add it when you do find it under the  heading of "F".

Math is difficult for many people because they may not use those skills on a day to day basis. So, do some math problems each day just to prepare yourself for the examination. Fractions seem to cause many people to freeze. Practice adding and subtracting fractions. Mix up the denominators; mix 32nds with 64ths and 16ths.

Most of all, mix with and get to know the people in your class. You will be bumping into them over and over again in the next twenty years or so. Enjoy the class and don't let yourself get overwhelmed. Ask questions! Ask questions if you don't understand or if you didn't hear something.

Good luck, study until you can't see straight. Go on to something new and different after an hour or so. Your mind can only function for so long before you need to shift gears to keep alert.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-07-2015 02:23
Al., Thanks for the Tips. I am going through Real Educational Services. It is a 10 day Class and AWS is giving the Test at the end of the Course. Real Educational has GREAT reviews and actually have a MUCH Higher success rate than the AWS Seminar. The Killer part for me will be then Wait for the Test results. I have heard all to many times the horror stories of the Foot Notes. Although I am using the API 1104 Code (as suggested by Real Educational Services) I am more familiar with D1.1 as most of my career has been under that code. The 1104 code book is only 100 pages long. Part of their Pre Study is "Keywords" The Lucky part for me is this. For the last few years, I have been working with a Oil and Gas Law Firm. Law Books are FUL of Footnotes and you are right, the answer is ALWAYS in the Footnotes !
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-07-2015 02:45
Sorry to hear you are taking API 1104.

I took both API and AWS and found D1.1 was easier to navigate if you made use of the index for those questions I wasn't sure of.

Good luck.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-08-2015 15:48
Just got back from an elk hunt (yes, I got mine).

Think you would do better with D1.1 myself.  A bigger book does not mean a harder test, especially when you are already used to the book.  Either way there are only 46 questions and the index is better as well as the questions fit more easily into a particular clause. 

Analyse the question and figure out where to go for the answer.  They will teach you. 

Best wishes.  No party, just study hardy for the next two weeks.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-09-2015 03:23
Brent, Thanks for the Advice. I had already chosen the 1104 Code when I got here so no changing. However, This is day 2 and it is all starting to fall together fairly well. I seem to be able to navigate and decipher the code faster and more accurate than most that I have talked to. There is 127 people in the class.  All is Well so far. 8 more class days and TONS of Homework ! We get Quiz Multiple Times Daily. We average about 100 questions a day. How Amny questions are on the 1104 Code Test and how many on Part B ? Anyone know ?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-09-2015 05:02
I believe the breakdown is 150 on Part A- Gen Knowl, 46 on Part C- open code, and 60 on Part B- Bogus Book.  In point of fact they have a tolerance range for the number of questions but that is pretty close to the actual numbers on the tests for the past few years. 

Brent
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-10-2015 03:25
Brent, We have the Breakdown There are 150 Fundamental Questions. Must get 108 of them right...46 Practical Questions, (Part B and tools)  Must get 33 right and 60 Open Code Questions, Must get 44 right. NO Biggie on my part !!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-10-2015 04:44
Yeah, I had Parts B and C reversed for number of questions.  Sorry about that. 

You seem in good spirits as of yet.  Must be going good.  Giving you lots of good information?  Learning anything at least as far as practical code application that you didn't already know?

I know when I went through it I came home with a new perspective and ways to change some things our shop was doing.

Brent
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-10-2015 11:25
Brent, Did I learn something ? Damn Right !! After learning the Why, When, Where, and How, Let's say I have a New Respect for an Inspector ! AND, being in the position  I have been in so many years, I have had to learn to Humble myself and understand that SOME things that I THOUGHT I knew, was wrong even though I got away with it !!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-10-2015 17:54
LOL, glad you're having fun. I believe you will do well, you got this thang. :razz:
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-10-2015 18:22
Yes, sometimes when we get into the nuts and bolts of the other guys job we must stop and eat some humble pie.

Something about walking a mile in another man's shoes.  :lol:

Keep it up and don't take anything that you thought you knew as gospel.  Be willing to tear down ALL the old foundations and build a new foundation upon which to build the rest of your building.

Brent
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-10-2015 18:24
Oh yeah,

For me one of the biggies was after the metallurgy and mechanical properties sections.  Once I got a reasonable grasp on those principles many other things made so much more sense and I have to wonder how some of my projects even held together to get out the door.

BB
Parent - By mwmw (**) Date 12-09-2015 19:52
I had probably 9 or 10 questions out of Annex A/B in 1104 so don't skip out on those
Parent - By J-Habetz Date 12-09-2015 21:05
I took the test on 1104 this past November. 150 Questions- Part A (Fundamentals), 46 Questions-Part B (Practical) and 60 Questions- Part C (Code Book). D1.1 has 50 question on Part C. The night before I tested I read Annex A & B entirely because i had issues finding answers during practice exams. It was a good thing I did. I had close to 20 questions from those two parts and ended up making a 90%. Good luck.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 12-07-2015 16:31
Good luck Cactus, I'm pretty sure that you'll do just fine. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-10-2015 03:22
I have to say this. Real Educational takes their job VERY Serious !! This is day 3, we have 8 hours of Classroom for 10 days and 3-4 hours of homework per night, divided between the Code Book and Fundamentals om the first week and Fundamentals and Practical on the second week. The Weekend is scheduled for 8 hours per day with homework. We have already practiced on over 3oo questions and we WILL get a Practice test that mimics the AWS Exam sometime next week. I have heard the stories about how thw AWS Seminar is run, I can tell you that I have NOTHING but good things to say about the way these people run their class. I am impressed !! I have No Worries about my ability ESPECIALLY after being in the class if only for 3 days so far. I ALMOST feel like, After the way these people teach and drill on all topics, IF I do not pass, it is no ones fault but my own !
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-10-2015 04:46
Well, you just partially answered my questions to your other post above.

BB
Parent - - By patzgcrux (*) Date 12-12-2015 17:40
Good luck Cactus, definitely look at the breakdown for the fundamentals part.  I hear good things about that 10 day class that you are taking.  If you don't mind kindly share your experience with the test, I am curious about the part B.  They were suppose to change the format this year.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-12-2015 20:00
We were told that the Part B IS changing and the New Part B will be 57 pages instead of 27 Pages and the Test is changing in Feb 2016. It is supposed to be much more difficult
Parent - - By patzgcrux (*) Date 12-12-2015 21:59
Hello,  Thanks.  I got mine out of the way last April, API-1104 also.  Crossing my fingers you do well on your exam.
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-13-2015 01:56
Thank you, I feel pretty good about it. Because of my wife, I have become a firm believer in the fact of, "If it is meant to happen, then it will" !
Parent - - By mwmw (**) Date 12-13-2015 02:59
Not sure if it will happen in Feb but it will be MUCH harder. In addition to the larger Part B Book of specs there will also be a "book of exhibits" full of WPS/PQRs that you will not get until exam day. It has a mix of D1.1/ASME B31.1 and api1104.....there will be a LOT more people failing Part B. The good thing is the plastic replicas are MUCH better
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-13-2015 15:51
We were also told about the Exhibits too. We were told that in Feb, people will be required to review procedures and documents to find mistakes and false info
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 12-13-2015 16:38
Kool,
Finally after all these years.
Even still, nothing will prepare you for a QC job like having to actually run the dept.
Parent - - By mwmw (**) Date 12-13-2015 20:35
NOt exactly. You will use the Book of Specs and the Book of Exhibits along with the Plastic weld replicas to answer the question. Just like it is now except they added the book of exhibits. The time constraint will be another issue since you will be seeing the Book of exhibits for the first time on test day.
I wonder if the price for the seminar will go up if they add another day do to the Visual inspection workshop
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 12-14-2015 01:10
After seeing how Real Educational does things, I am SURE they will take the test so they will know how to teach accordingly. They write their own material taking the needed parts from the AWS Books. They seem to have a GREAT Handle on what is going on and how to teach it
Parent - By mwmw (**) Date 12-14-2015 02:36
Yea im taking his online D1.1 endorsement class right now . He did a much better job explaining the sections than the AWS seminar did for API 1104
- By mwmw (**) Date 12-06-2015 23:50
Good luck
I have some extra Part B question i can email you if you need them
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-13-2015 21:09
Somewhere I heard the Part B was supposed to take longer when the new one gets initiated.  Anyone hear anything about the time period for the exam?

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By mwmw (**) Date 12-14-2015 02:38
They had said it would be an extra half day a day of classroom for sure. When i took the Beta Part B they were undecided on the length of the exam. At the 2 hr point i would say only half the class finished. I finished at 2:30(keep in mind these were all people that had already passed the CWI exam with at least an 82 on all parts
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Well, First day of CWI Prep Class starts in the Morning.