Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Welder needs brazing cert for refridgeration lines
- - By Stringer (***) Date 12-12-2015 16:09
I'm not sure which publication to get to test and qualify a welder for brazing. There is no code specified on this job, but he wants to be 'top dog' and justify keeping other employees from trying their hand at this and causing problems. I believe the lines are in the 1 1/2 inch range for the most part.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 12-12-2015 17:34
ASME B31.5 is the "Fridge" code.
Never worked with it myself and I don't have 150 clams to buy it just for casual reading.
Probably can find a pdf out of date copy around on the web somewhere.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 12-12-2015 21:46
Thanks, Superflux. Yes, I sometimes resort to old free versions for casual reading because being a CWI almost guarantees you can't afford the AWS library.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-14-2015 00:47
If you can't afford the books, you can't afford to do the work.

Al
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 12-14-2015 04:39
Right, but I'm unclear on your sign-off. Do you not approve of D1.1?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-14-2015 22:23
It voices my objection to a new provision of the code. I have a problem with a provision in the 2015 edition of D1.1 that says it acceptable to weld over residual oil, grease, and water.

I don't believe AWS should say it is permissible when it is well known that oil, grease, and water are sources of hydrogen and can increase the potential of hydrogen assisted cracking. In my humble opinion it would be better for all to simply say, "The joint must be clean and free of contamination that could interfere with the production of welds that meet the requirements of the code."

I find it difficult to reconcile why the 2015 edition of the code is so concerned with the small amount of moisture that is collected by the low hydrogen covering on SMAW electrodes, but they are willing to say it is fine to weld over "residual" oil, grease, and water. There is a serious disconnect in the logic.

Most of the engineers I have pointed it out to are totally taken by surprise. "What were they thinking?" is the polite way of repeating their collective response.

I can only hope that the engineers I work with refuse to use the 2015 edition on their projects. I would hope AISC refuses to adopt it for the new Steel Construction Manual.

I understand D1.1 is a consensus document, but that doesn't mean the rest of us have to jump off the cliff just because the committee lost their collective senses.

So far, my concerns have fallen on deaf ears. While some people consider AWS standards to be sacred and may not question the wisdom of an AWS committee, I do when it runs counter to common sense, reason, and scientific evidence.

Just my thoughts on the subject since you did ask.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 12-16-2015 00:59
That IS weird. I've often thought of a large framed statement on the wall over my welder that says "All materials to be joined shall be free of dirt, rust, paint, oil or other forms of contamination and that especially includes cadmium or galvanizing!"
(I work in a sheet metal environment for the most part). Why the AWS would open the door to skids (my personal name for the unethical) is not smart. KISS. I'll bet this was a conversation on laquer thinner or MEK gone wrong. People love to talk and when there's nothing to talk about they may resort to splitting hairs.
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 12-16-2015 05:57 Edited 12-16-2015 09:25
Al,
let us save the hydrogen for where we need it
re-hydrating cellulose electrodes:eek::wink::twisted::evil:
then we get the extra oxygen for the co2 shielding gas
btw college is paying off
student member of AISC:eek::cool:
so will drop it on their plate
as far as D1.1 goes
stand right with you, they are so wrong
shop has always marked NP=NO PAINT
on the places to be welded in the field
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 12-14-2015 02:59
ASME IX : QUALIFICATION STANDARD FOR WELDING AND BRAZING
PROCEDURES, WELDERS, BRAZERS, AND WELDING AND BRAZING OPERATORS

But you need to have a BPS first prior to brazer performance qualification test. A BPS may be used to provide direction to the brazer or brazing operator to assure compliance with the Code requirements.
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 12-14-2015 12:15
31.5 will send you to ASME IX for qualification requirements. QB-xxx.  Its a short section, but there are a few areas that require some attention to detail.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 12-16-2015 01:01
Joey, I am terrible with anagrams. What's a BPS?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-16-2015 01:18
I think Al's fat finger syndrome has contaminated his otherwise perfect typing ability.  WPS more than likely.  :lol:

Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-16-2015 01:23
BPS - brazing procedure specification. The original post was in regards to brazing, wasn't it?

I could be wrong.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-16-2015 02:21
Oh man, wrong again, me that is.  You are probably correct.

:sad:

BB
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 12-16-2015 03:40
I'm sure Al is right. That could be a sticky. It's just that my brain is mush from taking a business course (aced it) on top of trying to reboot my career a bit (who isn't?).
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-16-2015 11:14
Congrats for acing the course!

Al
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 12-17-2015 04:48
Thank you, Al. That means a lot. I found myself in an exhilarating and stressful day today trying to up my game. I was in a new place, inspecting new things and expected to conquer new software, and produce new reports in a new way. My class said business is requiring people to expect change.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Welder needs brazing cert for refridgeration lines