Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / oscillating GMAW process
- - By PFI (**) Date 12-14-2015 13:21
Hi all,

I wanted to get some opinions on this new product I witnessed, (wish I could remember the name of the manufacturer) the tip (GMAW process) spins to cause oscillating motion in the wire, as if to replicate a circular motion of welding most exhibited in SMAW process.  The key point to this product is to minimize weld prep time and increase wall fusion in the weld joint.  They demonstrate this with a square joint and holding the mig torch in the middle without manual movement and the wire swirls the weld puddle splashing the molting metal up against the joint walls.

This all seems too easy to me, do you guys see advantages/disadvantages with this process?
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 12-14-2015 15:19
Rotating tip GMAW has been around for a while, at least 10 yrs.

http://www.sname.org/HigherLogic/System/DownloadDocumentFile.ashx?DocumentFileKey=5157f1e3-e62a-49e8-ba5c-35bd56fdf043

Not sure what all the concerns might be, but with all of that extra equipment, seems like more potential for breakdown, and if you need to follow a code, maybe some more variables to document
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-14-2015 17:03 Edited 12-14-2015 17:38
The latest version of is type of GMAW is called: "SpinArc" and is produced by a company named "WELDREVOLUTION"...
One of the biggest differences between what is shown in the link from fschweighardt and "SpinArc" is the simplicity of the improved torch system... Another big difference is the fact that the "SpinArc" torch: No gears and no lubrication required...

The first generation of this process were known as Rotating Electrode GMAW or (RE)GMAW and (RLT)GMAW = Rotating Lead Tandem... If one reads the article from the Journal of Ship Production May 2005 there are visual and engineering differences between the (RE)&(RLT))GMAW torches. Now I'm not going to go through a long winded comparison between the 2 versions of these GMAW torches other than to add that both are mechanized and were used with a robot via TTA seam tracking, or compare the latest version known as the "Spin Arc" (RE)GMAW torch because I need to do some other stuff around the apartment and I get tired easily from typing these days... So I'll end by referring everyone to the new (RE)GMAW mechanized torch described in these links below:

http://www.weldrevolution.com/

Make sure you read the articles, the video's, productivity studies and the technical presentation & brochure below in this link:

http://www.weldrevolution.com/support/

http://www.youtube.com/weldrevolution

Enjoy the reading and videos.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By PFI (**) Date 12-14-2015 18:54
Henry,

Thank you for your information, that is the company I am referring to.  I'm having a hard time believing, that by oscillating the weld puddle, you can reduce the weld prep angle?  What about welding Hastalloy-x to 316L with a required prep of 60-75 deg. included angle? I this to imply that this weld joint could be reduced to 0?
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 12-15-2015 02:56
I couldn't tell you off the top of my head but, one way to find out is to send them some prepared base metal with the 60-75 degree included angle along with  an unprepared joint ... And this is only possible if the people from WeldRevolution are willing to do so.. Hey, it can't hurt in trying my friend.:eek::lol::smile::grin::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-15-2015 13:48
Contact Scott, he is the main man at weld revolution.   I met him at Fabtec and he seems like a decent guy.

He offered to do some CJP demos in Houston on carbon steel.

The demos I saw at Fabtec looked good.

scott@weldrevolution.com
Parent - By PFI (**) Date 12-15-2015 21:18
Thank you Henry and Lawrence!!  We plan to bring in Spinarc in for a demo, we will have them weld Hast-x to 316L with the 40 deg. joint. We will cut and etch for penetration.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / oscillating GMAW process