Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / regulator not holding steady
- - By jmac2112 (*) Date 04-13-2003 12:51
I've just gotten into welding, and I'm having a problem. I bought an IOxygen oxy acetylene outfit from Harbor Freight, the "heavy duty" outfit, and I also bought a used Henrob, since I'll be doing some sheetmetal. The problem is that the oxygen regulator will not hold steady when I use the smallest Henrob tip, but exhibits a sort of "sucking" or "pumping" behavior, like the valve keeps closing up and then opening again. I can simulate the same thing by flowing oxygen through the hose and slowly closing off the hose with the end of my finger until there's just a *little* bit flowing. Any thoughts?

Thanks

John McMahon

Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-14-2003 00:51
Is your regulator single stage or 2 stage? A 2 stage regulator should give a more even pressure and flow output.
CHGuilford
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 04-16-2003 02:09
John
I have a few single stage regulators around and one of them does exibit the same problem at low flow rates... almost a rattle or an oscillation somewhat like from a clarinet or saxiphone reed... I wrote it off as a bad regulator and I don't think it is worth the cost of repair but I can be wrong.
Knowing what little I do about regulator design I suspect the valve spring at the diaphraghm is probably too heavy for the application. (A bit of true and accurate advice would be appreciated) It's not something you should attempt to change on your own but a service shop may be able to fix it.

I have no idea if there would be any valid safety issues using the thing so I leave that decision to your discretion.

I own othr single stage regulators that are acceptable at low flow rates and doubt any real benefit would come from buying an expensive two-stage rather than a single stage regulator that works. Most oxyacetylene manuals describe the differences between the two types of regulators in detail, and two-stage regulators are preferred, but both types work, particularly at lower rates of delivery as on smaller torches.

Your regulator is "broken" in my estimation. Is it a used or new regulator?

regards
d
Parent - By jmac2112 (*) Date 04-16-2003 02:15
It's by IOxygen, sold by Harbor Freight (ya get what you pay for, I guess!). If it doesn't "loosen up" soon, I think I'll send it back.

Thanks,

John

Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / regulator not holding steady