Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Post Weld Heat Treatment vs. Stress Relief
- - By booyah70 Date 12-15-2015 19:43
None of our WPS's have PWHT in them and I don't think we need to.  We have a customer that wants us to heat treat some weldments once they are done by sending them out.  To me, this is stress relieving the weldments and, therefore, we don't need to have a PWHT noted in the WPS.  The D1.1 essential variable is only in regards to post weld treatment rather than later stress relief, correct?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-15-2015 19:56
Stress Relief IS a form of PWHT.
Others are such as normalizing, spheroidizing, solution annealing, etc.
Parent - By booyah70 Date 12-15-2015 20:23
Thanks!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-15-2015 22:42
Booyah,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

JS is correct.  Many people don't realize all the processes that are included under the vast heading of Post Weld Heat Treatment.  Annealing, stress relieving, normalizing, my mind went blank.... oh well, you get the idea. 

Do your due diligence to see what it is they are wanting as well as how it works into your current program or if you need to tweak the program.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-15-2015 23:43
While walking around the shop observing the work on my job, these additional processes come to mind: quenching, tempering, postheat,

Brent
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 12-16-2015 03:45
Accept the customer request:lol::grin:. Who doesn't want aditional revenue but make sure you have a written instruction from your customer and new PO or variation order is given, otherwise not easy to collect payment when the customer realise their mistakes.

I have witnessed a customer rep who insisted to carry out PWHT on pipe coupons of welder performance test. His contractor obliged, but when the bill comes, the customer representative refused to pay., he said his boss told him it's not necessary to conduct the PWHT and the contractor must be aware with the contract agreement.

After that incident, I never see the customer representative in our container office, I heard he get fired. The contractor QC told me that his boss already foresee the problem to come but doesn't mind to absorb the cost as long as they get rid of trouble maker.  

Like playing chess, sometimes you have to sacrifice to get a better position:lol::lol:.
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 12-16-2015 05:34
Joey,
you got the bean counter in me going ( hi fluxie:wink::twisted::eek::evil:)
only do what is in the bid, ie contract
anything else, they who want it pay for it
and put a mechanics lien on the job
that has to get paid first
before the job is clear
not a lawyer so just IMHO
sincerely,
Kent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Post Weld Heat Treatment vs. Stress Relief