Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding H-13 tool steel
- - By weaver (***) Date 12-16-2015 12:48
Good morning ,

I been tasked with welding H-13 tool steel, which is new to our shop. we primarilary do cladding with Inconel,and stainless. Can someone recommend a tungsten grade that won't errode fast? We will be cladding the tool steel, We are running around 270amps, pulsed with an 80% background. 50cfh 90/10 ar/co2. .We are currently using Thoriated 1/8'' tungsten ( purple banded) . Thankyou in advance for the feedback, Shannon
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 12-16-2015 18:06
Argon / CO2?
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 12-16-2015 22:55 Edited 12-16-2015 23:00
Purple should be E3, unless it is violet, which is a color used in ISO for 3% thoriated.

10% CO2 is exceedingly unlikely

2% Lanthanated should hold up pretty good
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 12-17-2015 12:45
yes sir
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 12-17-2015 13:42
yes to 10% CO2?
Parent - - By Don56 (**) Date 12-17-2015 21:51
I don't think the type of tungsten is the problem.  CO2 is the problem.  W does not like CO2.
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 12-18-2015 12:00
+1^, you should try 100% Ar, at least to get started
Parent - - By FrankLee11 Date 05-02-2016 09:01
Welding H-13 tool be able to have the same positive result on efficiency progress that layering container, attractive more time to repair, and in my involvement, yield better machinability. My Blog   http://bestweldingservices.blogspot.com/2016/04/resistance-welding-equipment-for-fast-turnaround-times.html
Parent - By twalker Date 05-03-2016 20:34
While tribocorrosion phenomena may affect many materials, they are most critical for metals, especially the normally corrosion resistant so-called passive metals. The vast majority of corrosion resistant metals and alloys used in engineering (stainless steels, titanium, aluminum etc.) fall into this category. These metals are thermodynamically unstable in the presence of oxygen or water and they derive their corrosion resistance from the presence at the surface of a thin oxide film, called the passive film, which acts as a protective barrier between the metal and its environment. Passive films are usually just a few atomic layers thick. Nevertheless, they can provide excellent corrosion protection because if damaged accidentally they spontaneously self-heal by metal oxidation. However, when a metal surface is subjected to severe rubbing or to a stream of impacting particles the passive film damage becomes continuous and extensive. The self-healing process may no longer be effective and in addition, it requires a high rate of metal oxidation...
   Please excuse the plagiarism, but the study was able to impart the knowledge much better than I could. Try cutting out the CO2 and go to 100% argon. Someone told me once that welding was technique, electronics, and chemistry. If something is going wrong it will probably be caused by one of them.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding H-13 tool steel