Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / aerospace welding standard
- - By riz Date 12-17-2015 18:30
Which standard should be preferref ISO 13919 or AWS D 17.1 for qualification of joints welded with EBW.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-17-2015 20:38
This might be a good question to take up with the OEM
Parent - - By riz Date 12-19-2015 15:20 Edited 12-19-2015 15:27
hi
Parent - - By riz Date 12-19-2015 15:27
thank you Mr. lawrence for your generous reply. Actually i m just new to aerospace welding and i want to know that only D17.1 is enough or i need to follow iso 13919 for laser and EBW. i will appreciate if you share your experience with me. thank you
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-19-2015 18:23
Riz,

My experience to share with you is that the Customer in the Aerospace world that is governed by D17 usually has very specific desires when it comes to how procedures for welding are qualified.

So my advice to approach the "OEM" or Original Equipment Manufacturer is the best first step in a reasonable plan.

If you are doing laser and EBW,  you may be new to the business, but your employer is not...  They should have contact/access to the OEM's you produce for... and very possibly access to the "standard practice' manuals for welding production and repair for those OEM's.

Each aerospace OEM has a different approach when it comes to welding procedure qualification.  Pratt, GE, CFMI, all have different requirements...

Nobody on an internet site like this one can give you your answer with any authority in my opinion.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 12-27-2015 15:14
Nothing pre-qualified in D17.1 so it all goes back to acting engineer of customer anyway, right?
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 01-02-2016 12:09
riz,
Lawrence is so correct
but to nice:wink:
I will be blunt
in aerospace contracting
your the sub contractor, who bids a job on the prints
thereby the contractor, ie GE etc etc etc is the EOR
they set everything, do not like it, do not bid
have a problem with production or compliance ask them
if you are them
and your asking us here:eek:
wrong place to go
many here can tell about the past FUBARS  we had,
and how they were fixed,
or just started over:eek::cry:
but this is way above the paygrade of this and any internet forum
sincerely,
Kent
PS: happy new year Lawrence and everyone else
and most of all our very good friend Henry
better health and wealth my friends:smile::yell:
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / aerospace welding standard