Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / question
- - By kcd616 (***) Date 12-22-2015 08:32
read this
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jianxiong_Li8/publication/282397025_Effect_of_torch_position_and_angle_on_welding_quality_and_welding_process_stability_in_Pulse_on_Pulse_MIG_welding-brazing_of_aluminum_alloy_to_stainless_steel/links/563bfe2508ae45b5d286a4e8.pdf?origin=publication_detail&ev=pub_int_prw_xdl&msrp=hZ666Mo1XS-Z1g8MDlbsNlbHDPvcmwWPA9oud6zXNmCWwPvbmGQSMp180l2_dqpoMzPygHejmxttNoCgEKaNPg7uu_eXRKFrpUz0DSDPdyU.-bGHwvVYzpjaDSSQxC6-8lOhzTz-CoDPjlpvj0RrVAksVpQohIVmxsi6McMQcGipiyDjJmKG6oTZexlyHLHfhw._qyyDCcTUT1IHN4YgggJdcUmeGFM-9SQtrT2f1edkXTR6ePTr5SQ_PgwCx90dRfIL5UM5Ap3_hLbA4JkxemZ9w
I think no way
am I stupid? or just behind new processes?
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-22-2015 13:33 Edited 12-22-2015 13:37
A really interesting article Kent, thanks for sharing.

It looks like it works to me ")

You aren't stupid at all... They are still not welding aluminum to austenitic stainless :)

I think the key thing for guys like you and I to understand is that what they have accomplished is sort of a "multi-process" joint, in that the Aluminum is welded and the stainless is brazed (solid state).

"The Welding-Brazing Lap Joints are obtained by melting the aluminum alloy and forming a connection with the SS with solid state through wetting and interfacial reaction." {Emphasis mine).

The Macros show what the quote states.

How this type of connection would be used is also a good question...  I suppose a next step would be to continue trials that look at the Aluminum's long term aging and galvanic reactions along the faying surfaces...  (how does the metallic joining hold up under various service conditions..

Macros and quote clipped from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/282397025_Effect_of_torch_position_and_angle_on_welding_quality_and_welding_process_stability_in_Pulse_on_Pulse_MIG_welding-brazing_of_aluminum_alloy_to_stainless_steel
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-22-2015 13:56
Like oil and water....these steels and "almost a metal" (-quote Al) won't mix. But this is interesting, no doubt. Wonder how brittle the joint is at the interface?
Parent - - By Trackergd (**) Date 12-22-2015 18:34
Stainless and Aluminum are pretty far apart on the Galvanic Corrosion charts, so it is a given that they will react with each other to some degree.

Specific applications like exposure to sea water, brackish water, acidic precipitation (acid rain) etc, would most likely exacerbate the process.  For all my experience in mechanically joined applications, I don't possess enough knowledge at this point to know what would happen inside this type of joint.

When I was in the fire protection industry, bolted and threaded connections between brass and aluminum, aluminum and stainless etc. were a constant source of issues, even with paint, powder coating and hard coat anodizing to slow the process.
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 12-23-2015 08:08
Garrett,
that has been my experience
let Fluor, Bechtel, etc. etc. etc,
here about this
Major temper tantrum coming:razz::eek:
but maybe there are new things
I do not know about
I try to stay informed
but shame on me if I missed something major like this:eek::red::sad:
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 12-23-2015 00:45
Lawrence,
glad to share, and learn:cool::smile:
my thoughts now, are why Al filler? (and if so, how about 4943 Al?)
wouldn't CuAl be better?
I think the angle is unimportant,
as opposed to the filler metal
so many questions
hoping our very good friend Henry jumps in and helps us learn:cool::smile:
and maybe that young kid Al Moore might help some:wink::twisted:
and glad to see Mr Wright back here posting
Hi John, Merry Christmas
Merry Christmas everyone
sincerely,
Kent
- By ex bucket head Date 01-15-2016 18:15
Hi.
I am looking for some help... we have a - A 182 F22 procedure in place and i need to qualify a welder to it. Can i use AISI 4130 as a test coupon or would it need to be the same material as the procedure.
Any help/ Advice would be great.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / question