Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WPS for combined material and PWHT
- - By Syah Date 12-25-2015 05:35
Dear experts,

I am new member on this forum.

I need your advise for the below case :

We have 2 tanks with same design and configuration.

The first shell course and annular plate is SA516-Gr. 70(N)  which is P1 Gr. 2.  Shell plate thickness is 13 mm  and annular also 13 mm. There is backing strip in annular.

The second shell course till top shell courses are A283C which is P1 Gr. 1.  Shell plate thickness is 11 mm , 9 mm, 7 mm and the top course is 6 mm.
The bottom plates are A283C.

We have clean out door attached on the first shell course so we need to PWHT this assembly as required by API 650

The WPS shall be per ASME Section IX.

In WPS under PWHT block :  I will state PWHT only for the shell with clean out door.

In WPS under material block : I will state P1 Group 1 and Group 2  TO   P1 Group 1 and Group 1

In Thickness range block : I will state 6 mm to 13 mm.   The PQR coupons will be plate 10 mm thick A516-Gr. 70 (N).

It is allowed to make only 1 WPS above case ? But I will make 2 PQR coupons i.e. 1 coupon for non PWHT and other for PWHT.

Inside the tank there is pipe 2" and 4" and 6". The requirement for butt weld joint for this pipe is GTAW root pass and SMAW the next pasess.

To cover butt weld joint on these pipe I will make another WPS for GTAW + SMAW.  The PQR coupon will be plate 10 mm thick A283C.

Your response is highly appreciated.

Syah
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-28-2015 13:27
Syah,
I would not specify in the WPS that PWHT will be performed upon a specific part. That immediately makes your WPS project specific. Then you would have to revise it to cover other projects. Simply use a Job specific addendum to the WPS to express any specificity such as PWHT, and leave the WPS as general.
Parent - - By Syah Date 12-28-2015 16:54
Dear JS55,

I am sorry I do not understand about "use Job Specific Addendum" to the WPS.

Is there any a special form ?

From your explanation I have got an impression it is allowed to state that requirement in WPS.

So my WPS could be use for non PWHT and PWHT case.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-28-2015 18:07
There is no special form for a 'Job Specific Addendum'.
You would simply create one yourself.
The purpose of this is flexibility.
You can impose job specific requirements on the addendum that are separate from your main WPS so that for the next job you don't have to revise your WPS if the requirments are different. Just make sure your job specific addendum references the WPS.
This Job Specific Addendum actually becomes a part of your WPS but for only that particular project such as PWHT of a particular weld that is not required by the Code but may be required by the customer or a separate standard, as in the case with API 650.
Parent - By Syah Date 12-29-2015 15:18
JS55,

Thanks for your explanation.

Syah
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WPS for combined material and PWHT