Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Stud welding Form in AWS D1.1
- - By Toey TNDT (**) Date 12-28-2015 14:23 Edited 12-28-2015 14:25
Dear All ,

I would like to know  abbreviation  HR and CR of Surface condition  in Stud welding Procedure Form

Regards,

Toey Tndt
Parent - - By msharitt (**) Date 12-28-2015 14:50
Some one may correct me, but my first guess would be hot rolled and cold rolled.
Parent - By Toey TNDT (**) Date 12-28-2015 16:09
Thank you for share opinion.

Regards ,
Parent - By Trackergd (**) Date 12-29-2015 17:42
I am going to (carefully) agree with this (as I am a new here).  Hot Rolled and Cold Rolled have different surface conditions.

Cold Rolled Steel is flatter, less roughness and less thickness variation.

Hot Rolled Steel is less expensive.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-28-2015 20:52
Who knows?

I reviewed 2008 edition and 7.5.5.1 speaks to "surfaces" but makes no mention of HR, CR  Hot/Cold rolled....

That being said.. Michael's guess is a good one :)

Another D1 mystery
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-30-2015 12:29
I briefly browsed through Clause 7 in the 2010 edition of D1.1 and didn't see any reference to HR or CR mentioned in any of the references to base materials or finishes.

I agree with Lawrence, another D1 mystery.

Confession: with all of the stud welding that was performed and inspected, nearly on a daily basis, in my previous employment as a QC manager at a fab shop, I never filled out one of those stud welding forms. I suppose other than the physical evidence of bend testing, someone could have taken objections to my testing regiment and called me out on it. Lots of auditors (customers, TPIs, and the AISC) had passed through those doors in those 30 years while I was there and that was one piece of paperwork that was never reviewed/audited in all of that time there.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-30-2015 12:58
John,
Perhaps its just not that big of a deal.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-30-2015 15:01
I think you hit the nail there  :)

The OP asks a great question, but the thing we need to remember is this:

The form that the OP is questioning is part of a NON-Mandatory annex.    The form is a "suggested" format for reporting.

It's a good bet that the task group that produced that "sample form" was not the same task group that authored Clause 7.

I have always edited out reporting items that were not necessary for the reports I make...  I don't like leaving "N/A" or blank spaces in a report that God only know who is going to audit.   If it is not an essential part of the report... I delete the box.

Saves a lot of questions and confusion.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Stud welding Form in AWS D1.1