Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Define overhead weld position in AWS D1.1
- - By Thomas Snider Date 12-28-2015 21:48
I have been discussing the definition of an Overhead welding position for welder test certification, from the AWS D 1.1 figure 4.1, with the other inspectors in our office. I interpret figure 4.1 to mean anything less then 10° off vertical, (0° to 80° above Horizontal). My colleagues argue it should be 10° to 20° above Horizontal. I am wondering if there is another industry standard more widely used.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-29-2015 05:15
Thomas.   Welcome to the Forum!

If your production work, and welder performance, and procedure qualification testing is compliant with AWS D1.1 than Figure 4.1 Diagram Reference "C" is indeed correct as you pointed out.

Other industry standards mean zero if your production work is D1.1 compliant.

What exact reference are your colleagues using to back their argument?

If you are working to another standard than D1.1 probably means zero and you must consult the standard to which you are bound.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-30-2015 19:37
If the question is referring the actual orientation of the test assemble when administering the performance test or qualifying the WPS, figure 4.1 does not indicate the permitted angular or rotational tolerances of the test assembly.

The figures 4.1 and 4.2 are used to determine the test positions required to meet production needs. The test positions are flat, horizontal, vertical, or overhead. Once the test is passed in position, the WPS or the welder is qualified for production needs based on the angular and rotational orientations indicated by figure 4.1 and 4.2.

Notice the only test assembly with a tolerance on the position of the test assembly is indicated for tubular assemblies. I set the position of the test assemblies with a spirit level. As long as the bubble is between the lines, all is well with the world.

Best regards -  Al
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-30-2015 21:05
I agree with Al, the tolerances for positions(+/- 15°) is to apply to what you find in production....ie roof sloping at 10°, the welder is still qualified to weld a flat position weldment, if he only took a flat position test.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-31-2015 00:53 Edited 12-31-2015 00:58
And I third the motion to agree with Al (as if his authority needed verification).

The welders are tested in a reasonably 'dead on' angle for the position being tested: flat= 0° or level with the plates also in a zero slope position welding "down", horizontal= 0° weld axis with the plates in a vertical position, vertical= plates and weld axis at a 90° slope from a level baseline, overhead= plates and weld in a level or 0° slope position as when flat except welding is done "up or overhead" against gravity not 'down' with gravity.

The rotation and angle charts are only to see what the range of qualification will cover in production so the inspectors, QC or QA, can tell if the welder is properly qualified for the work they were assigned to do.

And, as Lawrence said, it doesn't really matter what other codes may be out there and what they say, the only question of interest is what code are you working to and what does it say.  Personal opinion amounts to an equal standing with armpits and other similes, everybody has some multiple of said orifice and they all stink.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent

PS, WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Define overhead weld position in AWS D1.1