Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WPS / PQR with impact test for SMAW process
- - By Syah Date 01-01-2016 06:07
Dear experts,

Our contract agreement is WPS / PQR for vertical with SMAW must be impact tested even by the code we are exempted for this impact test.

Vertical seam on our shell plate would be :

a.  P1 Gr 2 welded to P 1 Gr 2. Shell plate thickness range from 6 to 37 mm.

b. P1 Gr.1 welded to P1 Gr. 1. Shell plate thickness range from 6 to 8 mm.

All these vertical will be welded by SMAW process.

My plan is : make PQR with one test coupon with P1 material and thickness is 19 mm. This coupon  will be tensile stressed, banding stressed and impact tested.

The problem is our client welding engineer insist to provide 3 PQR coupons with various thicknesses. He said due to impact test we need to provide 3 coupons with different thicknesses. He can't explain to me which standard address this requirement. 

I can't find that requirement in API 650 nor ASME Section IX.

Your comments is highly appreciated.

Syah
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-04-2016 13:07
Remember, impact testing requirements are going to be driven by the Code of construction. In this case probably Section VIII. ASME Section IX is not a Code of construction and API 650 is not a Code AT ALL.
thickness ranges are limited. 6 to 37 mm is an extensive thickness range.
Parent - By Syah Date 01-10-2016 15:26
JS55,

I found in API 650 paragraph 9.

It is stated the impact test value of material P1 Gr. 1 and P1 Gr.2.

From this paragraph it is required 2 PQR test coupons i.e. P1 Gr. 1 and P1 Gr. 2.

Also one of my colleague told me something about QW-403.6.

Maybe these 2 paragraphs are the reason why my client ask several test coupons for impact test.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WPS / PQR with impact test for SMAW process