Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Repairs in SAW with FCAW
- - By Sivasankar Date 01-02-2016 17:57
Dear all,

This is for structural fabrication.
And for the built-up flange to web, SAW  is qualified and for all other fillet welds FCAW is being used. I faced some problem with the uneven welds in the SAW weld and I asked them to repair. They did the repair with the FCAW ...? Is that acceptable ??

Regards

Siva
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-02-2016 19:54
Welcome to the forum Sivasankar !

Repair of SAW fillets on 3 piece built-up web/flange connections of  I or H beams is common enough...  Burn-thru, misalignment of SAW heads, Skips for angular or thickness transitions and more can cause this need eh?

FCAW, GMAW, SMAW are all typical processes that might be used to make such repairs.

But you ask;  "Is it acceptable"  ?     The answer depends on a few things you have not shared with us.

Is your production welding compliant to a particular welding code?     If it is, do you have approved FCAW procedures written for repair of your web/flange connections?   Do your customer contracts have any specific language referencing weld processes and procedures? and do your repairs fit into that context ?

I would say that FCAW is a good choice to make your repairs, especially if they must be done out of position.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Repairs in SAW with FCAW