Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Format for weld qualificationsto NAVSEA
- - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 01-04-2016 19:01
Writing welder qualifications and not sure the proper format.  
The listed specifications are:
T9074-AS-GIB-010/271 Feb.99/CAN-1
S9074-AQ-GIB-010/248-95
MIL-STD-2035A

Those were to cover the process, as well as acceptance criteria.  I was wondering if I can use the D17.1 Format and change the fine print to match the specs above.  Any thoughts?

J Maxwell
Parent - By Trackergd (**) Date 01-05-2016 17:05
I worked for a company that provided fire protection components to NAVSEA.  They nit picked everything to death.  I would not assume anything, rather I would ask what format they want it in and if you are permitted to modify it to suit.  Also expect to have the NAVSEA Inspectors show up without notice and go through every scrap of documentation you have (inspection records, material certificates (including the test coupons), Welder Tests, Weld Machine Calibrations, etc.....  Just offering my past experience.  :eek:
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-07-2016 15:38
Not really sure exactly what you are asking, but If you are speaking to writing up a Welder performance qualification test record, they need only have the required essential variables listed per paragraph 5.5.1 and 5.6 of TP 248. Then list your qualification ranges. A modified ASME welder performance qualification test record does a decent job with a few tweaks of course. Don't forget that any new welder has to also comply with 5.2.3 (a).

Kix
Parent - - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 01-07-2016 17:55
Yea that's pretty much what I ended up doing.  We just got the C-SPEC Weld Office software and were trying to make the format work and we used a D1.1 format and just turned off the code corrections and wrote in the compliance details.  I just wasn't sure if it had to be a certain format or I could use any.  I really prefer the D17.1 format because of how simple it is to read.  We got it squared away but thanks for the conformation.

-J
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 01-19-2016 14:06
I also forgot to mention that when performing work when the end customer is Newport News or Electric Boat, you can gain free access to software like C-SPEC for NAVSEA from a company called Weld QC. It has all WPS, PQR and WQTR for welding/brazing electronic templates that flag you when entering incorrect information. It's still in it's beginning stages, but it's coming along nicely and the ship yards like when you use it because it makes their lives easier when approving them.

Kix
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Format for weld qualificationsto NAVSEA