Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Thoughts on the loose speaking of BIAW ASME Sec VIII Div 1
- - By Kix (****) Date 01-05-2016 20:26
I am constantly seeing drawings that say build IAW with ASME Sec VIII Div 1, or build IAW ASME Sec VIII Div 1 With stamp, or Build IAW ASME Sec VIII Div 1 without stamp. How would one interpret a drawing for a bid that just says Build IAW ASME Sec VIII Div 1? I kind of interpret that as the vessel is getting the whole kitten caboodle, AI, Stamp etc etc. The only way I would interpret it as not getting and AI and stamped is if it clearly states that the vessel does not need to be stamped in the RFQ. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Kix
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-05-2016 21:07
Kix, there should (or must) be job specifications to work in conjunction with the drawings?  This is the 'norm' in my experience, if none were provided then the contractor would seemingly be forced to quote and perform in full compliance to the referenced Code.  With Stamp to me indicates a Jurisdictional matter whereas without Stamp may mean built to the technical merits of the Code but without necessarily AI, Stamp, etc.  When in doubt get Client clarification!
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-06-2016 14:08
Jon,

Yes, that's kind of what I was interested in, which terminology justifies the need for client clarification. So if I'm reading your statement correctly, when meeting the full compliance of Sec VIII Div 1 the customer gets AI oversight and a U stamp correct?
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-06-2016 19:45 Edited 01-06-2016 19:47
Yes, except the Stamp may be one of many, and not just a "U" Stamp.  Obviously, in order to build ASME compliant vessels / piping one condition is which Stamps your Company maintains and as such the Company probably already has a contract with an AI Agency.

EDIT: The Customer doesn't necessarily arrange the AI, the Manufacturer does in my own experience.  I am assuming you are acting as a representative of the manufacturer?
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 01-06-2016 20:10
Thanks Jon!  I just said U stamp because I was talking about Sec VIII div 1, but I'm getting what you're putting down.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Thoughts on the loose speaking of BIAW ASME Sec VIII Div 1