Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WPS with multiple PQRs (Essential Variables)
- - By JTI Date 01-08-2016 14:07
Historically, I have reviewed WPS's with supporting PQR's where the essential variables line up.

I am reviewing a vendor's GTAW WPS. They have several supporting PQR's which are listed on the one WPS. The one WPS has "as welded" meaning "not PWHT" and PWHT. They also have Preheat temperatures based on the metal thickness i.e. <1" and >1". If PWHT and Preheat are both Essential variables per Section IX Table QW-256 how can they supply a WPS in this manner?? If a WPS gives direction to a welder this seems confusing. Shouldn't they have separate WPS/PQR's for these situations? Is this Section IX acceptable? If so, what is the Section IX reference.

Thanks for your help!!

JTI
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-08-2016 17:11
Overall what they are doing is not only acceptable, it is common. However, what you need to do is review each PQR and determine if the variable as written in the WPS are supported.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-09-2016 01:50
Here's decent link that can help you in describing what ASME Section IX is:

http://www.gowelding.com/wp/asme.htm

Btw, Section IX is a section of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code and it's a standard that covers welding brazing and fusing qualifications for the most part.:roll::grin::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / WPS with multiple PQRs (Essential Variables)