Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New to welding, looking for a mentor in the Austin, TX area
- - By tjmack321 Date 01-08-2016 17:39
Hello!  I just recently retired from the Army after 12 years of service and I'm looking to start a new career.  Welding appealed to me for several reasons.  It seems like it involves a certain level of creativity and problem solving plus I enjoy working with my hands.

I live in the Austin, TX area and am searching for a mentor.  I'm looking into my options as far as schooling and in the mean time I'd like to get a job assisting a welder.  A full time job would be great, but I'd even be willing to work a day or two a week for free in exchange for some experience and guidance.

If you'd be able to help me out or know someone who can, let me know and I can shoot you my resume.

Last question…if I bought some inexpensive equipment and utilized some books or YouTube videos, do you think I would be able to teach myself any or do you think it would be waste my time and I just need to get to school?

Thanks for any input!
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-08-2016 19:40
Before you toss down coin for equipment, maybe consider a semester at your local community college.. even non credit.  There you can use high end equipment with some professional instruction, get your hands on multiple processes and see which ones you like most, the welding world is a big one, especially in Texas, oil, aerospace and manufacturing.   It's also a good place to network as employers come to those schools for workers.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!
- By Paladin (***) Date 01-13-2016 01:17
PM sent.
Floyd
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New to welding, looking for a mentor in the Austin, TX area