Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New year..New job
- - By GQ COWBOY (*) Date 01-09-2016 17:59
Morning, my follow welders.
I have some good news. I was hired as a welding instructor for lone star college in Conroe..
I pass up the job post three times..thinking l really wanted run my welding rig and welding shop..
Well, it's hard to start it out on your own.. Had another shop offer me 11 an hr..what the F...
Well needless to say, I didn't work for him..lol
With 20 years working in engineering as designer..
27 years as a welder..
I'm ready for a new challenge in my life..
Just wanted to share...
GQ Cowboy...
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 01-21-2016 16:43
Congrats on your teaching job.  With your background you can pass along experience and tricks of the trade that cannot be found in text books alone.

I wish you well,
Robert
Parent - - By GQ COWBOY (*) Date 01-29-2016 00:06
Thanks..a great deal..
First two weeks have been pretty cool.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-29-2016 12:17
Way to go Cowboy,

I'm on a couple of Advisory committees for the Welding program at Lone Star.   They have had some administrative changes in the last year and I've sort of lost contact..  Looking forward to doing more.

The best part of teaching in a Technical College ?

June

July

August  :)
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-21-2016 21:39
Conroe's not a bad little town. Close to the north end of Houston. An area I like. Great Restaurants.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 01-22-2016 11:39
Congrats and good luck Cowboy.  Lots of instructors on this site.  Good place to come to if you need advice.

Tyrone
Parent - By GQ COWBOY (*) Date 03-08-2016 22:49
My follow welders..
What the heck is wrong with these young men..
At class today. One young man told me that, some of them were upset because they are requied to touch cut flat plate and grind the bevel to weld on...

What the beck..
Parent - - By GQ COWBOY (*) Date 03-08-2016 22:51
My follow welders..
What the heck is wrong with these young men..
At class today. One young man told me that, some of them were upset because they are requied to touch cut flat plate and grind the bevel to weld on...

What the heck.. In all my born days..
Never seen this stuff..
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 03-09-2016 03:08
It's a new generation today.........Lot of guys looking for the easy way to do things....Probably feel that's a machinist's job..... But the problem is, you have to be proficient at torch work, and beveling plate is just the beginning of the road in learning that skill...... I feel for you dude, thought about teaching also, just don't think I have the required "patience".....hang in there!!!!!!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-09-2016 18:17
Have them make their bevels with a carbon arc...

They will beg for good old days of the torch
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-09-2016 23:36
I know a few guys at my old place of employment who would gladly use the carbon arc and make it look like a surgeon had performed the task. :cool:

I bragged on those guys when I worked there too, they were that good.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 03-10-2016 11:43
Cowboy,
They just don't know any better.
Better that you straighten them out now than out in the field.

This will also show them the importance of applying nice even bevels.  Prima donnas won't last long in the industry.

Tyrone
Parent - - By GQ COWBOY (*) Date 03-10-2016 13:00
Guys,
I pull up a few job posting for welders and pipe welder.
Handed them it and ask if they could
Work all the equipment they are asking for?
It got quite in the classroom..
I think some of them realize..
Yesterday was good..
They don't read the book.  I told them that.
They don't hurt me by mess around in class..
Heck I can weld...nor hurt the school..they got there money. Just hurting your future...
I only lead by example...I tell them what they will see in a shop
Or in the field. If they don't get it.. They will be stuck on a ban saw all day...
Parent - - By GQ COWBOY (*) Date 10-02-2016 16:25
My follow experts in the field of welding and fabrication..

I must vent about The powers at be at Lone Star College Conroe..welding department..

I was told lies and misinformation..

I have been teaching during the summer.
Only on Saturday.. Before a semester ends you know about the next semester, I was schedule this fall to teach a day class during the week.. I was happy.. I email the powers at be thanking them for the assignment..it is much needed to feed my family..

Until I get a email stating that I was not teaching this fall
And the online assignment was a mistake.. This is at the end of my summer schedule
I was like what the F...this is the only steady job I have and it's part time..other than that, I'm fabricating wrought iron handrails, gates etc
Do what you can to make it... Right..

So when I got that email..I just wanted to know why I wasn't schedule.. The power at be wasn't in the office..I got an out of office email..( I quote. If you have question contact this person or this person.. So I did email them both..asking about the schedule.

Well, that made someone mad, that I was asking Why I wasn't schedule..

To keep this short.. My welding director would go around the question of the schedule..
I was ask to a meeting, where I was basic told that the welding department was short on student enrollment..
I said ok I can understand that.

To get a call from a student I taught tell me that he has a new teacher on Saturday now. What happened to you teaching..
I said, oh this whole deal is about that...

They hired another teacher and didn't have the BALLS. To tell me the truth...wow.. People are something.
The student said they are having a lot of students enrolling for welding..thats from college enrollment that said that..
You would think that the school, colleges would be a little better on communication..

The truth is all I want..
In short I asked, after the meeting, who is teaching on Saturday. (it's not you so don't ask..) what the F.

After this post, I may not be there much longer..
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 10-04-2016 11:35
Wow, that really sucks!

Too bad the dream job didn't work out.  Get up, dust yourself off and keep moving forward.  Good luck with whatever direction you take.
Tyrone
Parent - By GQ COWBOY (*) Date 10-18-2016 01:17
I'm good, just move on down the road..
I don't kiss ass..at all and will not..
So, keep reaching for that next level.. Thanks for the comment.
One door closed, five more opened..
I'm designing and building alum gate.. And loving it..
That's my dream gig building my company..
Keep burning rods and wire...
Which ever one comes first.
Dawson's Design & Custom Fabrication
- By Art.A Date 03-09-2016 02:54
How you guys doing today. So I have a question let me know what you guys think. I've been a field ironworker welder pipe welder for nearly 13 years. Which do you think is more profitable and all around down right something you can depend on. A rig welding contractor or a CWI. I don't mind working hard at all fellas,welding is something I enjoy and have fun doing but I ain't getting any younger
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New year..New job