Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need help asap regarding a job I am currently working on....
- - By DavidMcNeely91 Date 01-11-2016 01:22
Hello,
     My name is David McNeely,
I am a certified welder that works for a company that specializes in recreational architecture.
I am currently working on a job that requires intentive precision and have came across a process which has raised concern with me.

Allow me to explain;
The part I am fabricating calls for a 1” thick (8”×8”) base plate to sit flush with a 3/16” wall thickness (8”×8”) tube.
When told by other fabricators that we plasma cut a bevel into the base plate and smooth out by hand grinding leaving tabs to maintain the overall length of the part being assembled.
I found that the bevel is deeper then the thickness of the wall of the tube.
Thus creating a void between baseplate and tube of anywhere between 1/16” – 1/8”.
When I questioned it with other fabricators they simply stated that that’s how they have always done it, so next I went and had a talk with our engineering/architectural coordinators and they couldn’t give me a answer except that it was not their job to understand the welding processes that, that responsibility is of the certified welders/fabricators.

My gut instinct tells me that if the 1” baseplate is to sit flush with the end of the tube with a 3/16” wall thickness the bevel should be no more than 3/16” depth and a angle of 45° to allow proper fusion from one plate to another. (The way they go about prepping the plates the bevel they plasma cut and smooth out the depth of the bevel is anywhere between 1/4" - 1/2" and a angle of anywhere between 35° - 65°, leaving a tab on each corner)
When I stated this to my fellow co-workers they said that it didn’t matter because we are welding inside of the tube as well as on the outside.
Which brought forth another concern for me,
From the end of the tube where the baseplate and tube connect 3 ½” centered is a 4”×4” access hole cut by a plasma cutter leaving a 1 ½” clearance from the end of the tube to the beginning of the access hole.
We do not clean the inside of these tubes after plasma cutting the access hole before fabricating the baseplate to it.
So my primary concern is that with all the plasma splatter/scale inside the tube from the access hole being cut when we fabricate the baseplate to the tube (which has a void from beveling and not to mention if it is even square there already is anywhere between 1/16” – 1/8” void) When we fabricate the plate to the tube and weld inside filling that void we are welding contaminants from the inside into the weld and then running a root pass on the outside filled in with a fillet weld.
Is this welds integrity now compromised?
With there being such a big void in between metals is the weld now weaker because of lack of fusion?
Note that this part is a support column (which everyone is fabricated the same when it comes to the baseplate) and on top of that this once finished will be going to a state that is very humid and this building will be surrounded by excessive amounts of precipitation due to what the building will be once erected.
I’m sorry that I have asked you for your help as a certified welder, but my gut instinct tells me that this process in which we have always done is incorrect.
I wish to further my knowledge in this career and do things properly, I am young and have a lot to learn about this field correctly because I don’t want to be the cause of a “possible” failure in manufacturing of these parts.
I’d like to know these answers so that I may share them with the company I work for to strengthen our company.
I have tried finding the answer myself through minimal resources I have access to.
I do not have the funds to buy the AWS standards book.
Again I am sorry for asking these questions but I felt it was the only way that I will receive a authentic answer and reference for this task at hand.

Thank you for your time,
David M. McNeely
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-11-2016 02:40
Based on the latest edition of D1.1 you're good to go as long someone made a half hearted attempt to remove the dross, rust, oil, grease, cutting fluid, etc. Actually, the new D1.1 is the new Farm Code. My recommendation is to save your hard earned money and let someone else waste their money buying a copy of D1.1.

Back to reality. Any of the contaminates listed in the preceding paragraph has a high probability of interfering with the production of a high quality weld. Proper cleaning is often the difference between an acceptable weld and one that doesn't measure up, regardless of what D1.1:2015 has to say on the subject.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 01-11-2016 07:32
what Al said
but get to the real comment
have pride in your work
be an egomaniac
be able to say that is my work
look at how good it is
throw the code away
use your pride and ego as a guide
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By DavidMcNeely91 Date 01-11-2016 14:07
I appreciate the feedback and thank you.
I am newly certified and I just wanna make sure that if my superiors can't give me a legitimate answer that I find the correct one so that I can progress in this career without being lead in the wrong direction.
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 01-13-2016 00:35
You are asking around for information to ensure quality. You are definitely going in the right direction.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need help asap regarding a job I am currently working on....