Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Need Clarification
- - By Niko Nenkov Date 01-20-2016 17:44 Edited 01-20-2016 17:46
D1.1/2015, pg. 125, Clause 4 Qualification.

Under (19) Shielding Gas IT STATES:
A change in shielding gas from a single gas to any other single gas or mixture of gas, OR in specified nominal % composition of gas mixture, or to no gas...
There is an "x" under FCAW, or rule appies to it.
I read it as: if a welder tested in FCAW process, on 1"plate, and he tested with CO2/AR- 75/25, then his cert is NOT valid for welding in FCAW with 100% CO2 gas.
Does the rule apply back and forth? IE: from 75/25% to 100% CO2?
Am I correct? Opinions are good, but I need certainty....
Parent - By WeldinFool (**) Date 01-20-2016 19:11
I believe the clause you are referring to is for qualifying Welding Procedure Specifications (WPS), not for qualifying welders. I am pretty sure the shielding gas is not an essential variable for qualifying welders (see Table 4.12, pg. 138)
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-20-2016 22:36
Niko,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

A qualification under any gas mixture qualifies for any other gas mixture in the same process.  Once qualified for FCAW-G with 75/25 you can weld under that qual with any other gas.  Same with GMAW. 

There is a definite difference between WPQR's (Welder Performance Qualification Record) and PQR's (Procedure Qualification Record).  Sometimes they are difficult to follow since they are both covered in Clause 4. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By Niko Nenkov Date 01-20-2016 23:34
What bugs me here that it is said the gas does not matter. The interesting part is that the wire we use, Lincoln 71T,  is only guaranteed to produce quality welds if only used with 100% CO. When I called them and asked if I can use it with 75/25 they said "no guarantees"...Go figure!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-21-2016 00:15
UUMM... No one said "the gas does not matter."  Only that the change of gas mixtures is not a factor requiring re-qualification of the welder.

Table 4.5 deals with essential variables for PQR's and does not have anything to do with welder qualification.
Table 4.12 deals with essential variables for WPQR's and does not mention a change in gas mixture. 

One MUST keep them separate.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 01-23-2016 03:20
Which wire are you using that is 100% CO2 only
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Need Clarification