Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / The New Part B
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-24-2016 15:58 Edited 01-24-2016 16:05
Well, the first go around with the new Part B examination is over. I spoke with several fellows that survived the examination. They said the examination was fair, the plastic weld replicas were much better than the old ones, and while it wasn't easy, it was representative of what one could expect in the field as far as examining the welds and comparing the WPS to a PQR to verify the WPS was supported by the PQR and the PQR included the correct information.

Of course we don't know the test scores, but their first impressions were favorable. They did say they wouldn't want to walk in on the examination without first having the seminar.

I think the transition to the new Part B examination is a success. It was the hard work by the Education Department and the Certification Committee that made it work. That isn't to say there isn't some tweaking in order, but that is to be expected.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-24-2016 22:05
Thanks for the info Al.

Brent
Parent - By phinojosar (*) Date 01-25-2016 01:50
Good to know it!

I am very curious about the new Part B.

Best regards.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-25-2016 14:25
I'm curious as to whether or not the candidates at the beta exam had new Part B specific training or did they take it "Cold"?
When was Part "B" first used?
Seems it was brand new when I took it in '98.
My 9 year is due in 10 months and thinking about taking it just so I can advise others (Nu-B CWI candidates) on a course of study.
- - By mwmw (**) Date 01-25-2016 02:12
How much time are they allowing for the Part B exam now? I know that was something they were unsure about during Beta testing
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-25-2016 03:48
It is still two hours.

Al
Parent - - By mwmw (**) Date 01-25-2016 04:00
that surprises me cause at the beta test only half the cwi finished in two hrs. I really thought they would extend it 30min.  How many questions is it now?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-25-2016 14:44 Edited 01-25-2016 15:19
46 questions I believe.

Al
- - By qwik83 Date 01-28-2016 16:35
I was one of the candidates for the new part B in Beaumont 2016. It was my first time taking the exam, so I can not comment on a comparison to the old one. From what I have heard of past exams, the new one is much more fair and clear, mainly because the replicas were new and not prodded on with pens and such. The new code book is neat, simulating the 3 main codes used. I scored an 83% on it and finished with 15 minutes remaining.

The test was great, had no issues. The practice material presented at the seminar is another thing. It was full of errors (math, wrong answers and typos) and missing information for questions. Luckily, Ron had enough understanding to push through the headaches of it all and calmed the class down enough. I am not sure of the pass rate from this particular date, but many of the guys I spoke with felt good about the exam once it was all over with.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-28-2016 23:50
Qwik,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

And a big CONGRATULATIONS on passing the exam with the new Part 'B'.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By mwmw (**) Date 01-28-2016 23:59
We had the same issue with the practice material. It seemed like every other question had errors or were up to debate
- - By TheNumber8 (*) Date 01-29-2016 00:39
I am currently training a few people on the Part B portion and recently heard the Part B changed. Overall,, I looked at the new Part B and considered it a step in the right direction but I have a few questions.

1) When taking the Part B examination, what tools does AWS provide?

2) When taking the Part B examination, what specimens are provided for a candidate to evaluate?

3) Does anyone have any specifics on the Book of Exhibits?

Thanks
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-29-2016 03:08
REALLY!!?? 

Surely you jest!  :eek:  :confused: 

How can one be an SCWI and not KNOW those things?  And then, to have the nerve to try to teach/train others.  And how pray tell did you get a look at the new Part B?  It isn't on line.  Was just told today by the Education Dept that the Book of Specifications will not be available to anyone until they have been scheduled for an exam then they are given access to download it.  And the Book of Exhibits is not a download.  It is handed to you at the exam.  But you looked at it?  If you have those kinds of contacts and information, how is it you don't know the answers to your other questions? 

Bogus if you ask me.  No trainer I want to help me prepare for an exam.

BB
Parent - - By TheNumber8 (*) Date 01-29-2016 03:43
How can one be a SCWI and not know these things?  It's simple, I took my CWI in 2002, the SCWI examination is entirely different, and AWS just changed the Part-B this month. I think you are way off in left field and quite offensive with your comments.  Did it ever occur to you that maybe a candidate signed up for the CWI examination, was given the new Part B by AWS and contacted me to let me know it's changed?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-29-2016 12:13
Welcome to the Forum...  :)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-29-2016 13:02
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you. :cool:
Good to see we have another Level III fella here to bounce questions off of.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-30-2016 00:32
You are correct, they could quite easily have been honest questions and one wanting to make sure they had all their ducks in a row in order to help others which is commendable. 

I apologize for my tone and direction of my questions and comments.  No excuses, just apologies. 

Now may seem a strange time but... WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!  Very bad manners to jump all over someone right away.  Don't judge the forum by one cantankerous fool. 

Not an excuse and not trying to defend my earlier post... I get a little protective of exam materials and how they get distributed sometimes against AWS procedures as I have been proctoring the exams for about 5 years and see many taking the exam that have been to teachers who only 'taught the test' but did nothing to actually help someone 'BE and inspector'. 

Parent - By TheNumber8 (*) Date 02-01-2016 03:04
Apology accepted and no worries.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-29-2016 15:18
Now girls, let's play nice.

The skills and knowledge needed for the new Part B are not that different from the old Part B. One must still use a fillet gage, a ruler, a dial caliper, and an undercut gage. What is new is one must use a mirror to peer into a welded pipe joint to inspect the root surface. There is a protractor to measure bevel angles, and there is even an AWS standard to compare the "quality" of torch cut surfaces. 

The samples are much more representative of welds one would expect to see on the shop floor or in the field. There are several T-joint samples, samples with base metal defects, rough and smooth torch cut surfaces, intermittent fillet welds, beveled edges, several pipe joints, you name it and it is in there.

I believe the tool kit provided at the seminar is exactly what most inspectors need to perform their daily inspections. How many inspectors have C4.1-77 surface roughness gage in their tool kit? I have, but I can only recount two other CWIs that have their own. Now it is included in the kit given to everyone that signs up for the VIW. The dial caliper is not the best and it isn't one I would use on a job, but it is good enough for training. The micrometer is no longer included, so buy one and add it to the tool collection.

Yes, I sit on the Certification Committee, but I wasn't involved in developing the new Part B examination. Putting the training materials aside, they will be corrected shortly and before the next round of seminars, I really believe the New Part B is exactly what is needed. I took the Beta tests and gentlemen I have to tell you I like the new test and its format. It corrected many of the short comings of the old Part B.

The only addition I would like to have seen is a socket joint and a skewed T-joint. However, those baubles can be added at a future time if the committee believes they are essential to the skill set required to be a functional CWI. I concur with their decision not to include them at this time. The samples and questions included in the examination can easily sort out those individuals that cannot use the tools essential to performing the duties of the CWI. The objectives of the Part B examination have been met.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-29-2016 17:12
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-29-2016 17:43
Make that three, but it looks pretty new from here.

Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-30-2016 00:00 Edited 01-30-2016 00:04
I bought one while at the seminar when I took my exams.  The instructor showed it to us and asked who had seen one and highly recommended it as a tool kit purchase, so I did.  Have used it several times but it still looks pretty new.

About time they ditched the micrometers.  They were a waste of time even for people who know how to quickly and accurately use a mic.  Most exam takers took way too much time trying to calibrate them instead of answering questions. 

Parent - - By TheNumber8 (*) Date 01-29-2016 18:29
Al,

I appreciate the information very much.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-29-2016 18:30
Thanks - Al
- - By saqib.rasool Date 02-26-2016 04:48
Does any one have part b book new one
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-26-2016 05:31
Sure, they send it to you once all your paperwork is processed and the exam is a go. 

Actually, I think I heard someone say it was on the website now, but I haven't looked for it.

Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-26-2016 12:23
Brent

I looked up the Book of Specifications at AWS.org and this is what I found.

https://app.aws.org/w/r/certification/docs/Book_of_Specs_Eng.pdf

Maybe you or Al could give it a quick glance and determine if this is the new revision or the old one?

Thanks
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-26-2016 23:57
That looks like to old one.

Al
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-27-2016 00:35
First page and last page, dates of issue and corrections are 2006 and 2008 which means it cannot be the current one.

Just sayin'.

Brent
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-08-2016 15:12
Welcome to the Forum MrToday !

Thanks for posting the latest edition of Specifications.

That is going to be a big help to some folks I think.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-08-2016 15:22
MrToday,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Thanks for that link.  That's the one. 

They also have a homework link to help one get used to the new Part B Book of Specs.

Now, I already now that we are going to have classroom access to the Book of Exhibits on Thursday and Friday so that the seminar attendees can get familiar with that as well prior to Saturday's exam.

Brent
Parent - - By WeldorJoe (*) Date 02-26-2016 17:15
Brent,
I did download it off the website, but I went and looked again to share the url and it seemed to be off again.
I checked with AWS at the Certification Committee meeting early February and they said it was available so that is when I downloaded it. I'll follow up on it and see if I am looking in the wrong place or they pulled it off.
If they pulled it I think I can send it PM since it "was" on there. 
Joel
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-27-2016 01:01
So, if you go onto the AWS Website and go into 'Certifications' and do a 'Search' (upper right corner) for Part B book of specifications, take a look at the first two, especially the 2nd selection that comes up.  Instructions to applicants.  It says that after you are registered for the seminar/exam you must download the Part B and that an original will be supplied the day of the exam.

So, who knows what edition you download but probably not the one shown on someone's link above.  But, whatever you get may not be the same as the 'original' copy that you take the test with. 

They are trying to keep this a clean test as long as possible.  That is accomplished by keeping items under control of the test giver.

The only one I found available beyond that is the same as linked above which is not the new one. 

Brent
Parent - - By WeldorJoe (*) Date 02-26-2016 17:18
PS...I finally beat Al to the punch!
Made my Friday!:grin:
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-26-2016 23:56
Wow, it doesn't take much to make your day does it.

Al:roll:
Parent - - By Spider Date 02-27-2016 20:50 Edited 02-27-2016 20:53
DO NOT GO TO HOBART until they have curriculum for part B. They beat around the bush for three days due to the lack of curriculum. I'm guessing 25% actually passed. It is not an unachievable test but they didn't go through a single wps, pqr or wpqr and without that you will fail. I spent a lot of hard earned money to go be a guinnie pig. Give it at least 6 months until they figure it out. I have a good feeling ill only need to re take part B but we were all blindsided when we walked into that section of the test. I think the samples were ok, but the book of exhibits should be included in the appendix of the new revised part B book so a guy has all the pieces of the puzzle to start without learning on the fly. Just my 2 hard earned pennies.
PS rumor has it the instructor failed the new part b on the beta test.
Parent - - By Hugh Jass (*) Date 02-27-2016 21:46
Yes, I agree with spider. I was at that blood bath too! Code, no problem. General, no problem. new part b? No curriculum in place yet. They have nice new samples, and nice tool kits, but we skirted what to do on the test because no one knew. Don't get me wrong, Hobart, and the instructors were great. But, this new part B threw them, and it cost us. We were the experiment, and the class will improve because of it. But man, that was a lot of money to spend. I feel that we got 2/3 of our money's worth. As you all know, 2/3 of a cwi pass is worthless. Was what it was, and it was a blood bath.
Parent - By Hugh Jass (*) Date 02-27-2016 22:15
I'll add that I liked the part b, we were just not prepared for it. The the samples are nice, the kit is nice. The book of exhibits is great, and the specification is layed out well. The problem is that if you haven't practiced answering questions with reasonable representations of all 4 things, you are screwed. Which is the idea of a test. Hobart has a great program, but they could only show us what they believed might be on the test. There were no practice tests for part b. There was no simulated book of specifications. There was only, these are the tools we think will be in there, here's how they work on a test piece, here is the part b specification, get familiar with it, here are plastic samples we believe are similar to the ones in new part b. Again this isn't a cut on them. The answers were there, but without practice, a test that is designed to make you use 2 books, samples and tools in a hurry, will kill your clock, confidence and spirt. I've never taken a test that made me mad while I was taking it...until now. Hobert will step up and use this to build the program for future classes. They will have the benefit of our run through. My regret is that I went to this one, and I truly believe I'll have to go back because of it. It will be interesting to see what they have changed over the next few try. I love the school over there. They are pros. They will get this.
Parent - By mwmw (**) Date 02-28-2016 03:19
I would say the same thing with REALeducation.com. They are not teaching the new Part B nor are they doing the 2015 ed of D1.1. I bought their online D1.1 class so i could take it as an endorsement and was pissed when i found out it was all still based on the 2010 ed---felt a little ripped by tose people
- - By Spider Date 02-28-2016 03:26 Edited 02-28-2016 03:31
They should refund 1/3 of our money instead of using us at full price. Elmer was slow and boring, he had half the class asleep whenever it was his turn to take our money. Talked about how a pipe worked for the better part of a day. If you don't know how pipe works you shouldn't be in api or a cwi for that matter. They mentioned wps, pqr, and wpqrs but I'm pretty sure the paperwork AWS made them sign tied their hands. Not happy with AWS or Hobart. If you only teach 2/3rds of the class should we pay full price? I think not. Waste of close to 5k$ for me. And AWS is a joke not being able to grade those tests at a reasonable pace. All you need is a scantron. For 1000$ Test , they can afford to pay someone in Florida to grade it in less than 14 days. Big fat scam if you ask me.
Parent - - By Hugh Jass (*) Date 02-28-2016 13:47
I won't cut the instructors, but I can see how some would feel that. I  really do think that this caught them off. They have taught this a long time. I like the class very much. That said you can't claim that it is a complete preparation class, if you can not teach a complete preparation class. So yeah, I think they should refund about 1/3 of it. That I think is fair. At the very least, maybe they should invite this class back when they have a better plan of attack for part b, that they can teach. Overall, just disappointed that this part was so shallow, they know this wasn't right. I believe they will do something right about it. Just my.02
Parent - By theredneck1968 Date 02-28-2016 14:27
We just took the exams yesterday!
I also believe there wasn't enough info to practice and our tool kit (Dial Caliper) was junk.
Paid lots of money and worked my b off to pass this test.
AWS should of not used us as a test to see how things went !!
We should get a break on retaking Part B and should be able to retest ASAP.
Was told if we failed part B would have to wait or pay extra if I was going to attempt to retake in March?
I'm off work right now it's a great time while its fresh in my head!
Out of all the guys we had take the test two said they felt good about Part B. All others was pissed off that our studies on part B wasn't more structured to  Part B booklet and our studies.
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-29-2016 00:32
So, I wasn't one of the privileged that got to go to the Beta testing.

But, March 6th through 11th I will be at the Phoenix (Scottsdale this year) seminar as our section representative and then assisting with the exams on Sat.

So, I will see how AWS has done in preparing instructors to teach the prep class for Part B. 

I've always maintained the only reason the other organizations have a higher success rate than AWS is because they have a longer class for study plus they tend to teach the test not just a final preparation for inspectors to get ready for the test.  If people are truly qualified they don't need a longer class. 

The premise for AWS is to fine tune knowledge and experience already in place in a qualified individual.  The purpose of these classes should not be to just see if they can get the UNQUALIFIED to be CERTIFIED.  There is a big difference between the two. 

People who have to take the seminar and exam 5-6 or even more times along with the online classes from AWS and an online class from one of the other institutions are obviously NOT inspector material. Not Qualified and thankfully NOT certified, yet. 

Parent - - By Hugh Jass (*) Date 02-29-2016 12:07
I'd imagine that if you have taken the test before, you won't find it too different, or difficult. #1 because yes, you are a good and qualified inspector, and #2 because you have taken a part b before, and no doubt have an idea how that test runs. I know how to look review specifications, find answers in code, and use tools to measure things. My problem was doing it fast on the 16 to 17 questions centered on items I've never delt with before. I could still find the answers, but not fast enough for it to make a difference. As you know from past experience, you can not spend 6 min on a question. To me, and I'm sure this isn't true for everyone, the clock has less to do with qualification, than making informed judgments, based on code and specification. It's nice to do fast, but if I ever have a day that I have to do it 20 times, let alone 46 times in two hours, I'm looking for a new job lol. So yes, it's about separating the qualified from the not. They test that using a system. These schools that give preparation for the CWI exam are doing just that. I seem to remember an excruciating amount of paperwork going to AWS, to prove my worthiness to even take their test. That is as it should be. I use their code all the time. What I needed was a method to become fast at using it. Faster than my life would ever require. And the class was able to prepare me for that in 2/3 of the test. I'll have me prepared for the retest, because I understand how it runs now. Too bad the ones I paid to teach me could not. Fool me once...lol
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-29-2016 14:18
My post was not making a charge at anyone's qualifications or lack thereof.  I was showing how the system works in order to provide the most competent inspectors as possible into the work place. 

Once one passes the exams it still should be a given that they have additional training through their employer but that is left totally to the employer and way too many think that once the exams are passed they need to nothing else and the new CWI gets thrown to the wolves no matter if they are in a lab, shop, or TPI position.

Another way workplace stress is simulated is by the time factor of the tests.  How else can one see how someone will respond under pressure?  It isn't that you are limited in time on the job.  But how do you work and respond to stress when a welder, lead person, or engineer is standing there needing an answer so their people can get back to work? 

See, there are times when time is critical but it is more about getting your adrenaline pumping to see how you can do under pressure.  Are you able to handle several questions coming at you all at once?  Finding the answer fairly quickly in the codebook and not shooting from the hip? 

These are not easy things to simulate on a test.  AWS has done a fair job.

Now, remember, this is their test, approved and documented through other organizations to be effective, accurate, and established for fairness and equality.  This test is not to be a respector of persons.  It is equal stress and information across the board in many cross sections of our industry.  It would not work to have a dozen separate tests for each small subdivision: brazing, structural, automotive, aerospace, etc.  And yet some of that is worked in by allowing different open codebook exams and endorsement exams.  The main thrust is common ground for all and most of the information is good background for all inspectors.  It gives us an understanding of welding not normally presented in most welding curriculum in HS and college.  With that background we are better able to do our jobs.

But if one goes to a class that focuses on teaching people how to pass the test and not on the material in whole then there is a weakness in the end product. 

Some people need more time than the one week seminar and I get that.  But that is where self study should come in.  Figure it out for yourself and make it personal in both your own understanding abilities and your particular work environment.  It will mean more and have a direct application for you.

THEN, the instructors at any seminar can help you understand some of the things that are outside your normal pervue so that you can get some things right that you would have missed by yourself.  And, they help you with some items like tabbing your book to speed you up and teaching you how to get to areas quickly by analyzing the question to see where the answer may be. 

There is a lot to this test.  And, the test has changed over time.  Some see the negative changes, others the positive.  The goal is not to fail people.  It is to properly test the qualifications and pass the best people. 

Now, I'm not taking the test, I am proctoring the test.  I still want to sit through the seminar for PDH credit and for general knowledge in how things have changed and want to see what the instructors are now teaching prior to the test.  I teach a class through our section, nothing like the seminar, on how to be prepared for the CWI exams.  I teach what to do and what resources to use for self study as well as how to organize your paperwork to avoid the pitfalls of AWS losing your paperwork because it went in to them in so many separate packets that it takes awhile for all your info to be brought together in one place.  I try to take some of the pressure off so people can concentrate on the material of the exams and not be sidelined because they must redo paperwork that they didn't keep copies of, etc.  Little things in being mentally prepared for what is going to happen at the exam.  What tools are in the kit with more time than just one or two days to work with them.  For example, if you don't use mics much, leave it alone at the exam.  All it will do is take up valuable time trying to calibrate it when you could be answering questions. 

Off my soapbox.  All of the people doing training are trying to be helpful in their own way.  But you are still the one responsible to make sure you are ready and qualified.  AWS's qualifications for SITTING the exam are minimal.  They still don't mean you are qualified to do the job.  That's where additional training, apprenticeship, mentoring comes in. 

Parent - - By Hugh Jass (*) Date 02-29-2016 15:44
I don't think that was soap boxy at all. I agree with what you have said. I found it to be a fair test. And, I wouldn't want to go through that if it was for something watered down. We would disagree some, but not all on the speed element, but better self preparation through additional study can over come that for test purposes. I find myself in situations where speed is importaint and where the pressure is on, so I get it to an extent. The time factor is fair for simulation. I agree with your view on teaching to take the test, vs teaching the content, to the point of this. If you bill yourself as a school who is training you to pass this test, that is what you'd better be doing. You'd better have simulations of that test, and you'd better work it and work it and work it. My time is such a class made it easy for me to assess what I knew and what I didn't know, with the exception of the part B. I quickly found that I knew how to search and use the code. I've been doing that for years. My weakness in that area was doing it fast, especially in areas I do not have to use in daily work life. So, I practiced speed, and read, studied and worked on my weak parts. I think the fruit of that was that I'm more knowledgable than I was before. Enough that I feel the part C went fine for me under a clock. Similarly, for part A, it quickly became obvious in practicing and study, that the areas I am weaker in, are the same areas I found weakness in while studying for part C. Logically, those should be similar in part C, and they are for me. However, part B is different in that you add the element of test pieces and tools. Added are additional elements from different industries, which are fair, as you should be able to switch between, but can really screw you up if you have had no practice doing that in a time crunched situation. Again, it's a fair test. Back to the part about teaching you to take a test. This simply was not done for part B. There was no real preparation given. Can I do the work? Yes I can. Could I do it accurately in the given time, bringing all the elements together on that day? Nope. And because of that, I do feel that I'm not ready to carry that certification. Now that I have taken the test, I know exactly what it is like. I know where I need to work. I know the things that now take me 6 min to figure out, and need to take me 2. I'm happy to know those things. I'll get better, and I'll get more comfortable doing it. I'll pass it, and be better because I studied those things.

The shame is that I can do the work, I just needed to learn to do it fast. I needed to be trained to take a test. There are people who use that type of training to find where they are weak, then study the heck out of it. I didn't just want to pass, I want to pass knowing I'm reasonably strong in all the areas needed. As I said, studying to take part A & part C revealed areas of study I was weak in. I'll continue to study those areas. But we had no such study for part B. There was no way we could reveal our weaknesses until we cracked open that booklet. Now we know, and the smart ones will use it to be better at what they do.

Where we were failed I believe is that we had no practice that would reveal that prior to the test. I think Hobart decided to teach less, thinking if they taught to the old part B, people would come out saying that practice was nothing like the new part b. So, they went light, choosing to wait and see how it turned out. It was a bloodbath. I think future classes will get the benefit of this. There will be more time spent doing practice tests that reveal which areas you are weak in, and allow you to make a choice to better yourself in those areas through further study and practice. We just didn't get that tool in this class until we took the test in real time. I won't waste it. I would not have wasted it had we had the chance prior. We just didn't get it.

Some people choose to learn to only pass a test, some people choose to use that knowledge to find their weakness, and improve their skill through study. I'm the latter of the two. It's not good enough to just pass. Regardless, of how some choose, it was not delivered in this class. As it relates to the new part B, I believe it may not make a difference. If Hobart didnt teach anyone to take it, they were without a valuable tool to learn from. They didn't teach this class to take it, so we went without. If the old part b would have been taught similarly, I suspect it would have been the same bloodbath.

I look forward to learning more and tackling this again. I'm glad it will be meaningful to say CWI. Otherwise, why do it?
Parent - - By Spider Date 02-29-2016 17:43 Edited 02-29-2016 17:59
Just talked to the elder of the instructors at Hobart. He says we were fully prepared and that they taught us enough to pass that test. But he also said they didn't have any information on the new part b. I also talked to real education and the owner who also instructs the course let her cwi laps so she could take the test. They are running a 72% pass rate on the new part B. Looks like we went to the wrong school.

I agree about the time issue. If I didn't need to play AWS games and check 3-4 other answers every time to make sure I was choosing the most correct answer, I'd have had more time to figure the rest of it out on the fly. Good thing I'm made of 1000$ bills so I can fly around the country chasing this test.
Parent - By Hugh Jass (*) Date 02-29-2016 18:38
If that is so, and he truly believes it, then I'm sad for the program. I'm also troubled by the integrity of the statement, and the man making it because I hold him and the school in high regard. In a program filled with practice tests and general knowledge tests and reading, to have nothing on part B? That just seems odd. Maybe this is how they taught old part B? I can't say. But I'm more than willing to bet the pass rate went way down this go. We'll never know. I'm also will to bet that the part B part of the class will be very different going forward. I'm not sure I'll bet my money on that, I've already lost on them once. I will continue to study my weak points, and I'll research what programs are doing with it over the next few weeks. I'll say this, the two men teaching the class are competent, experienced, confident men. I saw very little of that as we brushed over part B. They spent a lot of loot on new stuff, but weren't sure how to make it effective yet. Again, fair test, poor preparation for it. Educators of their experience know what it was. I'm not bitter, I do need some work. I'm not angry feeling that I got screwed, I'm dissopointed in myself. And I do think it is unethical to stress that you are there to teach someone to pass a test then not do it. That doesn't mean everyone can or should pass, but you have to teach them to do so, if that's your business. I know a few people taking their next class. I'll be interested in their feedback.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-29-2016 18:41
Interesting, less than two months worth of seminars and testing to the New Part B and they want to 'CLAIM' a 72% pass rate.  On just the Part B.  I'll bet they can't prove those numbers.

But, even if they can, the test pass rate isn't that high.  Some who pass Part B will fail one of the other parts.  Part B gets the majority of failure but the others get a fair amount as well. 

This forum has already heard from several first timers who took and passed the exam as well as participants in the Beta test group who said it is a definite change up but not impossible.

Being so early in the cycle of things I don't think any of the instructors has a clear handle on how to present it at this point.  I will give you my OPINION in about two weeks.  I took it once to get my CWI and have sat through a couple as section rep.  Now sitting through this new one.  We'll see.

Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / The New Part B
1 2 Previous Next