Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / practice tests(theory)
- - By cmg (*) Date 04-15-2003 01:29
I am new to the instruction world and i love it.....I find it both challenging and rewarding.I remember what it was like to have a instructor who was just there for a paycheck...at my expense,and i dont want to be like that,it is unfair to the students......im looking for mock up quizes and practice tests our school uses a.w.s.literature and tests but in would like to challange the students a little more..is there a site i could go to to download quizzes or does anyone have any to offer?????? im looking for off stuff such as cast iron tests and blueprint tests any info would be great .......thanks

Parent - - By goodarc Date 05-11-2003 14:58
What are you an instructor of exactly?
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-29-2003 07:02
Hey GoodArc! Your enthusiasm is refreshing!(read another post of yours).
I believe the person is an instructor of welding technology.
I also believe that this individual is looking for some HELP!!!
So, please let's be a little more receptive to new instructors that need HELP and advice.
As for the person who is new to the " Instructors world ", you could try the AWS education library you might find some ideas. In fact pay a visit to your local AWS section's education library and I'm sure you could find some more help there.
Hobart's(HIWT) has modular training systems that include practice tests in each of the modules. Miller also has some excellent interactive training materials, and let's not forget Lincoln Electric's- James F. Lincoln Foundation educational materials.
I've been teaching on and off for about eight and half years, welded and fabricated for over twenty-five years. No- I'm not bragging, I'm just presenting to you a brief summary of my experience.
My point is this, You need to be able to understand that in order to test students as a way of finding out whether or not they are comprehending the subject matter. One MUST draw the questions from the educational materials being used to teach those students! If you test the students with questions that do not pertain to whatever was previously covered in let's say, Modern Welding Technology or New Lessons in Arc Welding or Blueprint Reading for Welders or Print Reading for Welders, then you will create problems for you and your students!!! Whatever curriculum you using, whatever Syllabus or course outline you are using, make sure your questions pertain to the teaching materials that the students and You use!!! The only exception to this rule is when you assign your students essay questions where you specifically assign your students to answer questions which are specifically designed to encourage them to do some actual research outside of the scope of the material you have already presented your students, and you must convey to your students that they will not find the answers to these types of questions in their books or their handouts. However, One must be able to "feel" the students out. In other words, If the student population in th your class is astute, and having a rather "boring" time at answering questions that pertain directly to the subject matter being covered, then devise some essay questions to "spice" things up!!! Be very careful when using this method of testing because, if this type of testing is used, and it's not the type written in the syllabus or lesson plans or you do'nt have prior approval from your superiors in using this form of testing, well- you could find yourself in trouble with your students, and your superiors.
I could go on and on but, hey- I'm sure there are other instructors with a tremendous amount of experience that have excellent advice for you also. Yeah sure I could send you some of the tests I've used over the years but, ultimately you should devise them from the training material that you presently use. Good Luck, and remember that teaching is something that you GOTTA WANT to do, and LOVE to ENJOY!!!!!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / practice tests(theory)