Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Best place to buy welders
- - By SamBrown Date 01-29-2016 13:59
Hey guys

I'm looking for a great value MIG welder to learn the basics with. I'm in the UK so you might not be able to help with specific stores but I want to know would you recommend going with ebay or Amazon, or an individual store like this one http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/ ? I don't want to spend too much but obviously want to get the best I can for my money. Any tips - general or specific would be great :)

Appreciate any advice!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-29-2016 15:43
I would think the shipping of a welding machine would run the cost up vs going to a brick and mortar store and purchasing one. My first Mig welder(wire welder) was a Hobart Handler 135 purchased for around $400 roughly 18-20 years ago, I still have it and have run hundreds of pounds of FCAW and GMAW wire through it. It came with gas regulators and hoses, all I added was the various tanks of shielding gas needed for the materials being welded. For the size and all intended purposes, it works well for anyone who is welding up small things around the house. It has it's limitations due to it's size, but if you keep that in mind, it performs very well. My kids were in marching band in highschool and I built all sorts of band carts and things to help roll/move band equipment on/off the football fields during competitions. I've used it to fabricate various suspension and chassis parts on a old Camaro that I have at home. I still use it frequently.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-29-2016 17:26
Welcome to the Forum Sam,

Some of your choice depends on what kind of welds you wish to make.

GMAW has two distinct transfer modes  1 Short circuit transfer for thin metal  and 2 Spray Transfer for thicker metal.

To produce spray transfer you really need a minimum of 200 Amps output...... (I've always wondered why entry level 220 input welding machines only produce 180 amps for GMAW, when the inverter GTAW/SMAW units will produce as much as 225)

357 Max prolly knows  :/

I often suggest you spend time at a shop if you know somebody that has one, or take a short non-credit class so that you can get your hands on a several welding machines.   It will help you know more before you spend too many Sovereigns :)
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 01-30-2016 16:10
Welcome to the forum! I think basic skills are best learned with SMAW. I would scour all the old rust belt sort of industrial areas and ask for an old 400 amp stick welder. They were impossible to break (they're kind of heavy) and sell very cheap to their real value.
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 01-30-2016 19:57
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-31-2016 18:35
Hi Sam, the trouble with the welder Northweldor suggests is it's 3 phase 415V which is an industrial voltage in the UK.
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-31-2016 19:49
There is a UK site specifically for MIG welding

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/

They will be able to advise you better on a suitable machine for the UK.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-28-2018 12:52
Slavery is against the law in most civilized countries. Even if it was legal, they would demand a premium if they are skilled and capable of welding in all position or better yet, if they are capable of welding pipe.

Al
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 08-29-2018 11:14
Wow Al,
Way to hijack the post :wink:
Funny though
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-29-2018 15:59
Welder versus welding machine. There is a difference.

Al
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 08-30-2018 11:18
I git it now.  Sorry, a little slo on this one.
Parent - By facetoface Date 07-05-2019 11:31
Very good semi-automatic make in Bavaria. Hoffman or something like that. Its all sellers welds know. Father (professional welder) took a 2-phase one. Prior to that, I revised almost everything, but I really liked the work. This year, it worked almost daily. Trouble free car.
At 220v, too, seemingly, good devices.https://solderingironguide.com/reviews/best-flux-core-welders/
- - By Yaziya Date 07-31-2018 14:44
I apologize for bump the old topic, but I have some interesting observations that I would like to share, maybe this will help someone in the future because once I was on the lookout for useful advice
Let me start with a preface: I am a millwright, I have a machine shop / metal fabrication shop and weld mostly heavier industrial things and some lighter sheet metal. I have an old TIG / Stick welder that is probably 30-40 years old that I bought used 20 years ago and currently a lincoln 250 amp Mig welder, and in the past several Miller MIG welders. OK with that said, here is my suggestions:
a. It takes more knowledge and skill to stick weld, but if you learn to stick weld you will have a foundation where learning to MIG will be a piece of cake. Stick welding has some benifits, you can weld steel, stainless, hard face, cast iron, and sort of aluminum. You don't have to have everything super clean to get a decent weld, (but it alway helps). You can weld outside in the wind, (hard to with MIG or TIG). you don't have to have a bottle of gas, regulator. You can get deeper penatration, and stronger welds with a stick, but it is not as fast to lay down a lot of metal as it is with MIG. You can find cheap used stick welder fairly easy, some of them industrial duty for what you can buy a MIG at Home Depot or Lowes.
b. Because MIG is seemingly so easy to do some people pick up a gun and just pull the trigger, that they never really learn how to weld. You can get very good quality welds with MIG, TIG and stick, but you have to learn. Because it is harder to get the feel of striking an arc stick as opposed to just pulling the trigger on a MIG gun some folks think that they are getting decent welds with Mig when all they are doing is piling some metal on top of what they want to weld with out really welding. However if you know how to weld and watch your puddle you can get good welds with both MIG, TIG and stick.
c. I agree with the gentleman earlier: find your local welding dealers. They service that industry only and they know their stuff, Home Depot is a lumber yard not a welding supply house. Yes HD can have some good buys, (I can get cut off wheels for my chop saw cheaper one at a time there then what I pay for a box at the welding supply), but they only carry the smallest welders and the smallest selection of supplies.
d. Don't buy a wire feed welder that is not set up to use gas shielding. No flux core!!! Yes it is cheap, but you will regret it and fight with it and it just isn't user friendly. Don't buy a welder that runs off of 110 volt power, it is too small and when you get into welding you will regret not having a "real" welder. Also 110 VAC welders have a low duty cycle, weld for a couple minutes then stop and let it cool down.
e. OK now I will go off on my personal rant!!! In todays economy there are great deals in used equipment. This is usually industrial equipment used by business that have gone out of business long before their welders were used up. Because I buy equipment at industrial auctions I daily get emails on upcoming auctions. There is also Craig's list, there are a lot of guys that bought tools or toys and need the money now. In my opinion the two biggest names in welders is Miller and Lincoln, they are the big names because they earned that reputation over many decades, this is not to say that there aren't others, buttttttttttt. I personally like Miller, but the last wire feed I bought was a Lincoln https://mechanicguides.com/best-cheap-welders-money/ because they had a promotion at the time. the way I see it you can either buy a new bottom of the series small welder or a used more than you will ever need industrial machine for about the same price.
f. one other plug: you will need a helmet: I buy the el cheap o auto darkening helmets at harbor freight for $39.99 on sale. I know usually harbor freight stuff is crap, but the helmets are a good deal and work well. I also buy their welding gloves. sometimes you can get away with cheap gloves and a decent helmet, but not your welder, get something worthwhile.
g. Find good local suppliers: a good welding supply house, a good steel warehouse or service center and look on their bulletin boards for used equipment and ask them if they know of anyone wanting to sell used machines. Welding supply houses may know a customer who wants a bigger, or different machine but hasn't bought it because they have a good used machine now.
h. Like any skill, read and learn all you can then spend time doing it. Get some scrap steel and weld, weld weld. watch your puddle and play with it, pull it, push it, watch it.
kent
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 08-01-2018 12:09
Thanks for your insights Yaziya.

Like.
- By michael06 Date 03-12-2019 08:27
I think the machine is Spray Transfer for thicker metal and Short circuit transfer for thin metal .
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Best place to buy welders