Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME 6G pipe
- - By dschlotz (***) Date 01-29-2016 16:08
I'm retired and teaching at my local Jr College. My previous employer is trying to get some other than D1.1 certifications for his outside sales team to use when making sales calls. He asked for prequalified ASME 6G. He has asked me to look into it for him. Since I'm not an ASME guy I'm asking the brain trust. I think that everything ASME is by test. Can you buy ASME PQR's like the ones for AWS D1.1?

Dennis
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-29-2016 17:32 Edited 01-29-2016 17:35
This may be one of the rare occasions when an AWS  SWPS  (Standard Welding Procedure Specification) might save some cash and do what you want.

You would still need to carefully choose the correct one..  They were less than $300 last time I looked.

They are designed to comply with ASME IX but have a number of limits and approvals that may be needed...  But if this is so that your sales folks can say they are "certified/qualified" and are only making demo welds for customers, I expect the engineering approvals might be blown off.

http://www.aws.org/standards/page/standard-welding-procedure-specifications-swps

One example
http://pubs.aws.org/p/81/b21-1-2061996r2007-standard-welding-procedure-specification-for-shielded-metal-arc-welding-of-carbon-steel-m-1p-1s-1-group-1-or-2-18-through-1-12-inch-thick-e6010-followed-by-e7018-as-welded-or-pwht-condition-primarily-pipe-applications

I'm not an ASME guy really, so I'm hoping others might be able to give more specific help
Parent - - By dschlotz (***) Date 01-31-2016 21:43
The SWPS docs are just what was needed to fill the requirements for the outside sales team. My previous employer got some of his more advanced welders to study what is available in order to have the correct WPS's for the power plant where they are perusing work.

Thanks Lawrence
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-01-2016 03:10
Yer welcome!

Al refuses to say anything positive about SWPS's even if they are the perfect solution...
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 02-02-2016 18:28
What exactly is your old sales team trying to sell that they all of the sudden need ASME procedures and eventually will need ASME qualified personnel to weld to those procedures? If he is trying to sell existing items that are ASME compliant, the company should already have those on file. If it is a new product line, you would have to know what is being built or made to know what type of procedure is needed and if you can buy one. Sounds to me like you might have been sent on a wild goose chase.

Kix
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-31-2016 05:26
Dennis, to me it sounds like someone has mixed apples and oranges.  The term 6G usually only applies to performance qualifications under ASME IX.  What this means is under ASME IX, a PQR can be run FLAT (1G) and be qualified to use in ALL POSITIONS however, position is an essential variable under perfomance qualifications, so that's when position kicks in.  Have fun!
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-29-2016 18:35
Sounds goofy to me. Has he been messing around with Mini?

Why would a salesman need a qualified or prequalified WPS to demonstrate a piece of equipment?

Al
Parent - - By dschlotz (***) Date 01-29-2016 21:19
He is selling welding services not equipment.

Dennis
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-30-2016 02:36
Advise him to buy a copy of the code. Can't afford the code, can't afford to take the work.

Al
- By erickpinca20 Date 02-18-2016 15:27 Edited 02-18-2016 16:12
How many required alternative run sequence using stringer passes needed in Fill Pass and Cap Pass in 6G Pipe Position?

groove angle = 60 deg.
ID of pipe = 4"
Schedule 60
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME 6G pipe