Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / dissimilar metals
- - By tsmart Date 01-30-2016 03:19
Hello all, I have a question regarding the qualification of 316 stainless to ASTM A 500. I have looked at both  AWS D1.1 and D1.6 and do not see that there are any listings in the group base metals where they overlap. Meaning D1.1 is for various carbon steel and no stainless steel and vise versa. I am trying to convince myself that I am able to use prequalified joints from D1.6 because we are going to use 308L filler material on carbon steel to stainless steel joints. 309L filler for stainless to stainless joints are prequalified and welders have qualified 3G ss to ss, no problem. Where I do have the problem is a PJP on 6.625 O.D. 1/2" wall pipe(A 500), to an end cap(316L) 1/2' thick 1/4" bevel, 1/4" land. If they were both carbon, or both stainless I would be ok with prequalified joints, but they aren't. I think I need to have a PQR? We will be doing CJP,PJP, and Fillets welds. For any carbon to stainless joint do I need PQR? and then a WPS for the welders to qualify? I think I can write the WPS for the CJP to cover fillets? All welders have qualified fro 3g Carbon to carbon, 3g stainless to stainless, and 1g rotated carbon to carbon. Simplified is they anywhere a carbon to stainless prequalified joint exists?
Thanks, I going a bit crazy over this one.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-31-2016 01:11
I have a dog and a litter of puppies, I'm pretty sure I can convince myself the dog is still a virgin.

Al
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-31-2016 13:30
Nope.... carbon to SS is not prequalified, there are too many variables that could effect the end result, so you need to run a PQR and do all of the testing required in D1.6 to prove your combination will work. A competent lab should be able to help you get all of this sorted out.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / dissimilar metals