Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / How welders buy supplies
- - By LHYAMS3 Date 01-31-2016 17:47
Guys,

It's been a while since I posted. Some of you may remember that I was interviewing for a marketing job in the business back in June.  We'll, I got the job as marketing director with Gas and Supply in no small part because of the education I got from members here.  I think it impressed the president that I went to the trouble of asking the questions. 

So here's my next part of my education.

Companies like ours are investing in web sales.  Grainger and Airgas have been moving customers to online purchases. 

Do you order products online or do you prefer in store service?  If you buy online, what kind of products are you looking for and why?  Do you get email offers from suppliers?

If you want to evaluate our site here's the link:  www.GasAndSupply.com    You won't hurt my feelings so you can be as honest as you can.

Again, thanks for your help.  You're helping us be a better company.

Louis Fair Hyams
VP Marketing Gas and Supply
Baton Rouge, LA
Parent - By mcostello (**) Date 02-01-2016 02:26
Can You fill My tanks from Online?:lol:
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 02-01-2016 03:01
99% of the time I do a better job looking up the odd ball things i need than anyone at the LWS.   BUT with that said i would love to be able to order online and pick up local
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-01-2016 13:24
I bought a long handle Smith machine torch online, best price I could find. When it comes to rods, wire, grinding wheels and wire wheels, gloves....etc., I do better as far as price by going to my LWS than I ever could online. At the LWS I am dealing with people face to face, have a relationship with those people. Take Norm from "Cheers" he walks into the bar, "NORM!!!!" is what everybody shouts.

When you need a small tank of 75/25 and only need it for a few days your LWS, if you have a good relationship with them might just let you "borrow" it without the whole lease deal, buying deal on something that you really do not need long term. When you need to try out some Hobart X80 welding wire they might let you take a spool to burn without charging you for the entire 40lb "minimum". It will be added to my account at a future date, the entire 40lbs when I need it but being able to work with it and not having the money out of pocket for the entire 40lbs is a nice touch.

I've bough some special tools online, pipe clamps and things but 95% of the time it's a brick and mortar store for me.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 02-01-2016 20:08 Edited 02-01-2016 20:10
Since I am only a "Hobby  Welder" and rarely at home, most of my supplies are ordered online and waiting for me when those precious few days allow be to work off frustration whilst pursuing the pleasant and manly art of welding. I have had an account at my LWS for 25+ years which I use for the purchase of my machines, gasses and must have consumables. This way if there should be any warranty problems, I can get them resolved face to face. Also, I do enjoy the "Hey Superflux, where you been since ...?" Get to chew the fat a minute and show off some fotos of The Bakken, or the coffee shops and window shopping in Amsterdam...(No comments necessary if you have a dirty mind! They have excellent coffee and very FRESH Heineken there).
On the job though, engine driven welder rentals and most consumables are site delivered from a LWS.
This particular project was probably 20 welders at the peak. Not a large account, but probably still a nice size income.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-02-2016 00:28
To order off line from my local supplier is one thing.

But to use on-line suppliers with no local presence has been rejected by me.

Here's why....

It takes all kinds of sales to keep the little guy or even the bigger supply chains in business.  If you buy all your small items off line, who will be there when you need something bigger? 

If you buy your welders from Craig's List or Ebay, who do you expect to service it for you?  Who do you expect to supply you with a loaner unit or at least a rental if you must keep going while your unit is being repaired? 

I buy my grinders, torches, tips, soapstone, gloves, tanks, gauges, welders, plasma, electrodes, and all supplies from my local.  I usually buy in volume even now without a bunch of guys welding for me so I get a good discount.  But the one supplier gets it all.  Even many of my inspections tools, markers, safety equipment, etc. 

This is especially true for me in a small community 100 miles from the bigger industrial area of Phoenix.  If I don't have someone local I'm in trouble.

The convenience of shopping on line is great for many things now days as long as it is my local suppliers site and he either makes sure it is in stock and ready for me to pick up or delivers it to my shop or work location.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By LHYAMS3 Date 02-02-2016 00:39
I'm not a welder (yet), but I did get may AWS Fundamentals Cert. Ok, don't laugh at me, I'm gonna get there.

Here's what I'm hearing...

Online can be a place for consumables and products sometimes.  But your LWS not going away. 

I'm wondering what kind of guy buys online.  Is it convenience?  They can't get it where they live?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-02-2016 02:33
"I'm wondering what kind of guy buys online."

The guy who wants bragging rights about how cheap he is, I mean, how cheap he gets everything.  Same thing really.

They buy all their consumables at places like American Torch Tip.  Welders on ebay or craigslist.  Etc, etc.

But they go running to a local supplier when things break down or they are in a real pinch because they forgot to order and ran out of something that they really need right now.

Even my little local supplier runs a service/delivery truck.  One of my competitors used to tell him he didn't need anything (they stopped by even if you had not PLACED an order, like the tool trucks).  Driver wouldn't be 5 miles up the road and this guy would call and tell them he needed a new soapstone holder and a couple of stones.  Yeah, right.  When he wanted other items he went on line because he could get tips cheaper.  Bought a whole half a dozen at a time, WOW.  Big spender.  But would ask the truck to come back so he could get one tip for the wire feed gun. 

Brent
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 02-02-2016 13:09
For large manufacturing operations that spend millions on welding consumables, the key to success for a local LWS is to have representatives in the shop every week, anticipating needs, providing service, working cost reduction programs, and basically everything need to help keep the product flowing.

Tim
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-02-2016 13:24
Thank you Tim... It's SERVICE !

One day of a production line being down will erase an entire year of savings on consumables, something supply chain guys may or may not understand.

This is not an advertisement... But Airgas has gone to some effort to obtain weld efficiency engineering staff to service regions they serve...  They work with and train the local staff to get them up to speed with customer needs and industry trends.

That being said... The big players and the online players need to have both... Service that is dependable and a price that does not turn people away...
- By msharitt (**) Date 02-02-2016 13:20
I agree with most everyone else here. I'm sure what little I spend a month isn't alone keeping the guy in business but it sure isn't hurting.

The knowledge that my local supplier has, He's been doing this about as long as I've been alive(welding and supplying). So when I stop by and say I have a oddball job around the house and I know something I buy regularly isn't going to weld it, he'll let me know what he thinks I may need. On top of that if he's got something he thinks I need he'll set me up with a sample or two and let me figure out what works before I put in an order. If I was ordering online I'd normally be stuck with a lot of consumables I don't need.

It's just hard to beat someone who you can talk to easily and is in the position and wants to help you out and not just be another sale.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / How welders buy supplies