Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPS reproval doubts
- By Dime Date 02-04-2016 12:35
Dear All,

I would like to have your opinion about some cases that I had some WPS reproved because of banal reasons but it is written on the code AWS D1.1 Ed. 2010.

Case 1:

1 of the 3 macrograph test resulted with 4mm of root reinforcement reproved because of it is not acceptable by the acceptance criteria  according to the figure 5.4A / tabel 5.9 / 5.10 (3mm max). The WPS was qualified with full penetration pipe with 5,8mm thickness and it is used to weld FP and PP welds and the client claims that it is necessary to qualify the WPS with 3 macrograph tests according to the item 4.11.3. In my opinion the 3 macrogrph tests are not required to the test pipe from the WPS but it is necessary to the mock-up of the partial penetration to be welded.

Case 2:

Root opening of the test pipe was with 4mm without backing but with backgouging (welded by the 2 sides - FCAW process)

Client claims that the figure 4.25 (A) does not permit use 4mm without backing. Is it a really impacting reason??

What if i need to qualify the root pass with Ø3,25 rod with GTAW process and it is needed 5mm root opening?

Thank you for attention!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPS reproval doubts