Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Entry Level Welder vs D1.1
- - By chris kipp (*) Date 04-15-2003 22:57
If a student successfully certifies with FCAW in the 3G and 4G positions, gas-shielded or self-shielded for D1.1, does this certify him/her for the ELW FCAW sections ?????
Parent - By brande (***) Date 04-20-2003 05:10
Could be wrong here, but it seems to me that the enty level welder spec is much more lenient and subjective than D1.1.

D1.1 seemes to have more actual limits than the seemingly opinion based entry level test.

Good Luck

brande
Parent - - By cccasey (**) Date 04-25-2003 01:47
If you're referring to AWS EG2.0-95 Guide for the Training and Qualification of Welding Personnel Entry Level Welder, as a SENSE school instructor, CWI and CWE, I'd say no! Paragraph 3.3.3.3 unit #3 has 8 different learning objectives which 3G and 4G welding positions are only 2 of 112 learning activities which the instructor is to provide for the student.
I believe AWS' intention is to keep the entry level training separated from the professional welding qualifications. I forget the exact reasoning but they don't want to imply that the ELW trainee has the same qualifications/experience as a certified welder. Correct me if I'm wrong any of you AWS people.
I think the confusion lies in the wording of our certification, the ELW training certification is a lifetime cert and should probably called a diploma. Whereas the standard welding qualification is often times referred to as a certification providing mega confusion for AWS SENSE School participants.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-29-2003 08:31
It's about time somebody explained this in a way that makes sense!!!
How many times in my career did I have to qualify all over again even though I was already Certified or is it Qualified according to AWS D1.1?
I was a nuke qualified or is it certified structural and pipe welder for EB up in "rotten Groton", and yet, that did'nt allow me to weld where ASME section IX or VIII was the code being used. I had to Qualify or is it Certify to these codes, and even if I was, I had take some more tests just to make sure that I really could qualify?
These two words have DEFINITELY been very confusing to many that tend to think that their meanings are the same!!!
Thank You for your excellent explanation because, ever since ELW came out, I've said the same thing only to hear misguided interpretations on this from students and teachers alike!!!

P.S. For all of you out there that cannot answer the question: "what is the difference between Certified and Qualified?", All you have to do is look up each definition. As far as AWS SENSE goes, well- I tend not to define SENSE as making too much of it!!! just kidding!!!
Parent - By WBI (*) Date 06-03-2003 19:43
I'm not sure if this is the right answer but it is how we approach it where I work. Qualified (or qualification) indicates an individuals skill, knowledge and experience to perform a specific task. Certified (or certification) is an accepted method by a recognized authority to measure those qualifications. Example: in California you are "qualified" to take a driving test at 16 (presumably because in 16 years you have learned enough to know how to operate a motor vehicle) but cannot legally drive until "certified" through testing and the issuance of a license.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Entry Level Welder vs D1.1