Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Gusset into a a flare bevel
- - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 02-04-2016 22:32
Along this Flare bevel is a 2"-6" stitch weld that meets the size, now these gussets meet up to it and I felt that where the gusset runs off into the flare bevel that they still should have put weld into the flare bevel for a proper run off.  What do you think?

----->  http://imgur.com/a/mgelP
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-05-2016 11:33
Maybe only the "Engineer" would know.

If the pitch is correct and the welder was given no further instruction or detail, it's pretty hard to reject.

You can always make a shop call and ask the Engineer if the intent was to have the weld specifically extend into the corner and maybe he just forgot to detail it that way?     My money would  be on him replying "good enough"

Also, it's nice to see stringer beads :)
Parent - - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 02-05-2016 15:30
Lawrence

Yea the welds were pretty nice, and I didnt feel it should be rejected.  I wonder If the "proper" way to view it would be if the weld stopped before the flare?  Its calling out a fillet weld and once an gap beings to open beyond a certain size, not sure if they are building it up or what it looks like behind that weld.  I was always told even with the stitching call out you would still leave a landing for a gusset weld like the to approach. 

J
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-05-2016 20:42 Edited 02-05-2016 20:44
If the maximum distance between two weld increments or the end of the joint to the first increment is less than the pitch minus the increment length, all is good. There is no requirement to extend the weld to the end of the joint unless it is so specified by a separate welding symbol.

There is a good reason not to allow three welds to intersect at a common point. It is called residual stress. The stresses in the longitudinal direction of the weld can be treated as a vector. Three intersecting welds, three intersecting residual stresses. The resultant can be determined using the Pythagorean formula. Expand it to:

((a^2 + b^2 + c^2 )^1/2= d  

Three intersecting perpendicular welds (think of a corner in a square tank) can easily exceed the tensile strength of the base metal. Where the thickness of the joint is such that it is highly restrained, it is not unusual to see a crack form where all three welds intersect. Higher strength steels, with an accompanying reduction of ductility, are especially prone to cracks were welds intersect.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 02-05-2016 20:56
Al-

Thank you and great to know.  Now at these gussets and these photos the other side of that gusset IS three welds intersecting. The placement of the 2-6 made nearly all the 6 gussets have ones side 3 welds intersecting while the other side of the same plate does not.  But as I mentioned the welding was done exactly to print.  Your point is noted for sure, I cant see how the more intersecting the more stress is pulling every which way.

Jordan
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-15-2016 09:30
I disagree that the welds are nice... Some of them maybe so but, there are quite a few that look like "donkey pooh." just saying.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-15-2016 13:03
We have no criteria for ugly Henry.

Al:wink:
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-16-2016 16:14
Now that's funny Al:grin::smile::lol:
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-16-2016 22:31
Sure we do... just look at my pic.

:lol:
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-17-2016 06:38
Brent,  you are confusing ugly with old.

We don't think yer ugly. :)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Gusset into a a flare bevel