Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Requesting welding tech school, welding apprenticeship info
- - By Chikofella Date 02-07-2016 16:00
Hello all. I have a High school student who is graduating in June 2016. He is very interested in a career in welding but has zero experience. As a far as tech schools go, are the particular schools to look into depending what type of welding he wants to peruse; oil & gas, aviation, etc? Which schools are recognized in the welding community? We are currently in Rhode island but not concerned with remaining in state as far as tech schools. Additionally, I've heard rumors of various welding apprenticeship programs but have yet to find any solid info. Do these programs exist? Any info you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your comments.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-07-2016 16:55
Look into the SAMI program at New England Institute of Technology. NEIT is no more than 15 minutes from any point in RI, so it should be a relatively easy commute.

The cost is minimal and provides basic instruction in several welding processes. Electric Boat has been recruiting graduates of the SAMI program. I know several of the instructors, it a good program to consider.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By 60John (*) Date 02-08-2016 14:05
Newport News Shipbuilding has an apprentice program which is/was college accredited. You can get paid to learn. I was in class of 78 learning SMAW, GMAW, GMAW-P,SAW,and GTAW plus got to play with Thermal Spray. Basically I was qualified on all ferrous material except nuclear and non ferrous except aluminum
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Requesting welding tech school, welding apprenticeship info