Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / The most important welding accessories for safety
- - By wellen Date 02-11-2016 12:45 Edited 12-19-2016 13:13
I've been tasked with making sure our welders are following all the important welding safety measures and wanted to get some opinions on what you guys think are the most important welding safety accessories. At our shop we make sure everyone's supplied with a good pair of leather welding gloves, welding boots and even a very slick welding jacket. I think probably the most important though is a good helmet.. so I was wondering what you guys think is the absolute best welding helmet? Has anyone tried any of the helmets in the link? I was thinking of getting the viking or antra for each of our welders.

Thanks for the help!
Parent - By Trackergd (**) Date 02-11-2016 13:10
One of the things I stress is gas pressure bottle safety.  This applies as much to shield gas as to cutting gas rigs.  I have a few video's I pulled off You Tube including the Texas Acetylene facility fire, the Mythbusters tank through the concrete wall (knocking the valve off) and one where a propane bottle on a forklift caught fire.  There are some good powerpoint presentations on line about weld safety.  Also don't forget to reach out to your welding gas and consumable supplier, they tend to have a wealth of good information and presentations...albet skewed towards their products.   Miller and Lincoln welding have safety posters you can get for free from their websites.
Parent - By Don56 (**) Date 02-11-2016 21:34
I grew up watching black and white TV.  The first time I saw The Wizard of Oz in color I was amazed.  I don't know about the others but the Lincoln Viking 3350 is that kind of experience,  No more seeing everything through the hood having a green tint.  It's welding in color and amazing clarity.  No I don't work for Lincoln.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-26-2016 20:13
The most important "tool" is the welder's brain. Welders have to be taught to recognize hazards in the workplace and provided with the proper PPE and tools to do the job properly.

No PPE will protect the welder if the welder does not appreciate the dangers he or she is exposed to or the consequences of that exposure will bring the appropriate PPE is not used.

Safety glasses can protect the eyes from sparks or other small projectiles only if they are worn at all times while on the shop floor. They provide little protection when they are slid up on the forehead.

Hardhats protect the head from all sorts of bumps and bangs on the head if they are worn and the suspension system if functional. Head injuries can leave a lasting impression on the individual that doesn’t wear a hardhat.

Work gloves have to be appropriate for the work being performed. They can protect the hands from burns, slivers, toxic materials, etc. However, ill-fitting gloves worn around moving machine parts can get caught and pull the hand, arm, or worse into the moving machinery if the proper machine guards are not in place. 

Respirators can protect the lungs from smoke, inhaled particles, noxious fumes, etc. if the appropriate respirator is worn.

Properly fitting clothing that is free of tears and holes protect the skin from abrasions, dirt, and grime and in the case of welders, the harmful effects of UV radiation.

Welding helmets and goggles fitted with the appropriate filter lens can protect the eyes and skin from the harmful effects of UV exposure.

Properly fitted work boots can protect the feet and toes of the worker. Steel toes, metatarsal guards may be necessary to protect the feet from heavy objects that would otherwise crush the toes or feet of the worker.

All the aforementioned PPE are useless if they are not used or if they are used improperly. A functional brain that is taught to use the proper PPE will maximize the probability the PPE will be used properly.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Al
Parent - By anurag_malhotra Date 06-26-2019 07:00 Edited 01-15-2020 11:57
It is very important to wear safety gear when working in harsh condition or dangerous environment. The most important welding safety equipment is Safety Glasses, welding helmets, goggles, gloves, welding jackets, apron and leather sleeves, welding hats and beanies, boots, etc. [deleted advertising links]
- - By rohinikamble Date 01-15-2020 10:44 Edited 01-15-2020 11:57
Modern workers in the welding industry are provided with safety jackets and welding blankets that protect the wearer from radiant heat, molten metal and fires. These are made compulsory in such industries in order to ensure complete protection for the welder.[deleted advertising links]
Parent - - By SWN1158 (***) Date 01-16-2020 12:06 Edited 01-16-2020 15:58
Being the code compliant, modern welder that I am, when it’s pouring down rain, the wind is howling, and the temperature of the steel I’m welding is way below 32 degrees, my trusty welding blanket keeps me really warm and dry. Does your company make one that fits a king size bed? Asking for a friend.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-23-2020 11:41
I've got just what you are looking for.

Al
Parent - By SWN1158 (***) Date 01-23-2020 12:11
:)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / The most important welding accessories for safety