Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / NDT system level 3 requirements
- - By PFI (**) Date 02-15-2016 12:24
Good morning all,

I have a complex question concerning the required involvement of a level 3 ... I have a customer that has a developed NDT system per ASNT requirements, the system has been qualified by a level 3 and it has been in place for a number of years. As of recently the level 3  (contracted) moved on to a new line of work. My question is this .... Now that the system is developed, approved, inspectors (level 2) are in place, can the company appoint an in-house manager to oversee the system? can the company appoint this same person to train new inspectors to level 2? I know this could get a little dicey with credibility.  Can a CWI be appointed as the overseer of the program and train?

I would assume the training could be dicey.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-15-2016 13:57
The Level III provided a service, i.e., developed the system and qualified the personnel needed to operate the system. That being complete, the Level II should be able to operate and maintain the system if the necessary procedures (written) are in place and the Level II follows them.

The Level II cannot qualify or certify other NDE personnel if your governing document is SNT-TC-1A or CP-189. You will need to retain the services of another Level III. An outside agency can provide the Level III for the purpose of training and qualifying the Level I and Level II personnel on an "as needed basis."

Having said that, your contract with your customer may have different requirements that will dictate whether you need a Level III on staff or not.

A CWI is qualified and certified for visual welding inspection and only visual welding inspection. The CWI is not qualified or certified by AWS for other forms of NDE

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By PFI (**) Date 02-15-2016 15:10
I thought the answer would be this way, I remember talking to a Former level 3 (he let his cert lapse) at a facility I visit quite often and I asked him if he was a level 3 (as I knew he was training some in-house techs to level 2 VT/MT) he told me the company appointed him as a level 3 and with that he has the abilities of the level 3 for this company only.  I assume if your customers contracts allow it?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-15-2016 16:20 Edited 02-15-2016 16:22
Evidently the Level III held ASNT certification at one time. Whether he is still legitimately a Level III for his employer depends on several other considerations.

In your case, it all depends on the specifics of the contract.

If the governing documents invoked by the project specification or code is SNT-TC-1A, the employer can develop a written practice that permits the employer to define the qualification requirements and it allows the individual to be certified by the employer. However, your customer has the right and the responsibility to review the written practice and accept or reject it based on whether it meets their needs and expectations.

Many project specifications make the recommendations of SNT-TC-1A mandatory requirements, in which case, SNT-TC-1A is no longer a recommended practice, it becomes the minimum requirements that must be met.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By PFI (**) Date 02-15-2016 19:08
That makes sense Al, Thank you very much!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / NDT system level 3 requirements