Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / A36 to 1045
- - By msharitt (**) Date 02-17-2016 21:55
For this particular project a friend of mine is trying to get a shaft into a hub. It's a home project so you can throw the code book out of the window. We're too the point of just needing it completed with limited resources. It's an A36 hub to 1045 shaft. I've read the past questions on this and still have my own questions. At first it was supposed to be 1018 shaft, So we preheated about 225 and welded with our .045 flux cored 70 series, 100%CO2. After cooling we noticed some cracks along the entire pass. Some in the center, some at the toes. We called the machine shop and he said he didn't have any of the 1018 so he done them out of 1045. With this new knowledge I done what I thought was right. We used the same process except we heated to 600 degrees and then used some welding blankets to slowly cool it. Still cracking just not as bad. In the morning we're going to get some freshly sealed 7018 and repeat with the same heating and cooling techniques.

My question is if we can make this work with what we have on hand. We have some .035 solid wire. The only problem is we do not have any 95/5 gas to run a spray transfer. We do have a bottle of 100% helium, and 100% argon. Would either of these achieve spray transfer?

Does anyone notice something obvious I'm missing that I could be doing differently to solve the problem? Thanks
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-18-2016 10:19
The closest thing I've had experience with is a 4140, 6000# part welded on to A53 18" sch40 pipe. 400°F preheat, open root with GMAW ER70S, followed up with E10018 C1 fill and cap then immediately PWHT weld and HAZ to 1100°F, hold for 30 minutes then wrapped in asbestos blankets. (Yes we used real Asbestos blankets and welding gloves back then in the 70s with Bronze reinforcing wire running thru it!)

My question is how tight are the parts? I would consider an interference fit to be superior to loose considering the differential alloys (and resultant thermal expansion) in use.

Plan "A"...
"Magic Wire" it with ER309...

OR...
Plan "B"
If it were my gig with the materials available...
1) Pressed fit. You can make a dry ice box with your CO2 and freeze the smaller part while warming up the female part. (Uuhmm Mr. Machinist, you owe me one for supplying the wrong steel!).
2) 400°F preheat and inner pass temp.
3) Peen after each pass. (I'm big on peening)
4) IMMEDIATELY PWHT after final weld profile is achieved. Pick any reasonable temp above 1000 and below 1200.
5) Bury in preheated cat litter, bentonite clay floor dry or preferably powdered Unicorn hooves. An Elfin Farrier from Madagascar can get the trimmings for you without having to slay any mythical beasts yourself.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-18-2016 13:02
PETA threw a bottle of ketchup on me last time I bought a bag of powdered Unicorn hoofs.

Lately I've been going the other way and doing an immediate quench in baby seal tears.
Parent - By msharitt (**) Date 02-18-2016 13:40
The more I read around I am finding more supporting document to PWHT.

It is a looser fit than I would like. And wouldn't you know it, The day I need Unicorn hooves the elf that works for my local welding supply has been on vacation in the Bahamas; therefore, they ran out of the powdered hooves just last week. Luckily though I did manage some bentonite clay. I will be trying again this morning trying to control my PWHT better.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / A36 to 1045