Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Clarification of CVN test assembly as per AWS D1.1 (2015) Cl
- - By isabyisa Date 02-23-2016 16:10
Please assume all essential variables will be same unless otherwise specifically mentioned in the below statements.

I have an existing PQR (lets say PQR-001) for a plate CJP weld with a thickness of 20 mm for 2G, 3G and 4G without CVN test. The WPS (WPS-001) derived from this PQR is with a thickness limit of 3 mm to 40 mm and all positions where CVN test is not applicable. I have a plate CJP weld with a thickness of 12 mm need to be welded in all position (i.e 1G, 2G, 3G & 4G) and CVN requirement is applicable. Please advise which of the following is / are allowed by code in order to weld the above joint.

1. Weld a test assembly of thickness 12 mm(any thickness can be chosen which cover the thickness limit mentioned as per the supplementary essential variable) in 3G uphill position using the WPS-001 (derived from PQR-001) and carry out all the test required for a procedure qualification + CVN test (be considered PQR-002). Prepare a WPS with both supporting PQRs (PQR-001 and 002) covering a thickness range from 12mm to 24mm for all positions with CVN test applicable.
2. Weld as above and carry out CVN test only. Amend this test with PQR-001(Otherwise a separate report showing only CVN test and PQR-001) and prepare a WPS covering a thickness range from 12mm to 24mm for all positions with CVN test applicable.
3. Qualify as new PQR in 2G, 3G uphill AND 4G positions with a thickness of 12 mm CJP weld (any thickness can be chosen which cover the thickness limit mentioned as per the supplementary essential variable). Carry out all tests required for procedure qualification + CVN test in 3G uphill position.

If your answer to the above question is 3, does it mean that I cannot use the PQR-001 in whatsoever manner i.e, code doesn't permit
Parent - By Bowler_Hat (**) Date 03-20-2016 01:56
If your WPS to be used, needs to be supported by a CVN test, then all of the original tests will need to be redone....WITH CVN tests applied.

Option 3 seems to be the best
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Clarification of CVN test assembly as per AWS D1.1 (2015) Cl