Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Flare Bevel/V-Groove
- By flamin (**) Date 02-25-2016 20:02
Hey guys,

I’m trying to wrap my mind around something here, and I just want to clarify if I’m thinking about this correctly.

I’m trying to verify that the WPS we have, is valid to weld flare bevel/V- groove welds on box tubing, which we don’t see very often in our shop. At this point my concern is the joint design. The box tubing will be fit side by side (Flat on Flat), thus creating flare bevel or flare V-groove. None of the joints will be welded on end, so it wouldn’t be any of the T-Y-K configurations shown in Clause 9.
Our WPS was qualified to a CJP V-groove (no backing) on plate. (GTAW)

Per D1.1 (2015)
4.8 Essential Variables
4.8.1 Changes beyond the limitation of PQR essential variables for the SMAW, SAW, GMAW, GTAW, and FCAW processes shown in Table 4.5 and 4.6…..,(CVN testing is not required on this.)

Essential Variables Table 4.5 (31)
A change in groove type (eg,. Single –V to double –V), except qualification of any CJP groove weld qualifies for any groove detail conforming with the requirements of 3.12, 3.13, 9.10,  or 9.11

I thinking our WPS would work based on the information above, and since the joints aren’t T-Y-K as shown in Clause 9. They would fall under the configurations shown in Figure 3.2, however GTAW isn’t shown on these tables, would 4.5 (31) govern this?

Next,
Since GTAW is not shown in table 2.1, would the “2T” factor noted in 2.4.1.4 and C2.4.1.4 be based on the joint being filled flush? I’m having a hard time grasping this one….

Thanks.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Flare Bevel/V-Groove