Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Certifying a Self Employed ASNT Level III
- - By Volsteve Date 03-02-2016 15:13
Sorry, I'm relatively uneducated when it comes to NDT and have scoured the web for help on an issue but cannot find a clear resolution. I manage a QA department and audited our NDT vendor several months ago. The vendor is a small with only a few members of staff. Our company designs product to API-8C which states that NDT procedures have to be approved by an ASNT Level III (or equivalent). During the audit I noticed that our vendor had certified themselves as an ASNT Level III and then subsequently approved their own procedures.

I understand that this practice was somewhat allowable in the earlier version of the ASNT standard but since 2011 this practice has been blocked. That said I understand the issues surrounding this certification for a very small NDT company. After mentioning this following the audit our vendor has told me that he is doing the first stage of the CGSB Level III which will qualify him appropriately regarding the examinations and then he'll self-certify due to his experience (based on the numerous inspection reports he has).

I'm stuck as to where to go to find a resolution. I don't have the background or knowledge to determine if this is acceptable or where to find information that specifically deals with this (other than to bring in a third party ASNT Level III to approve his procedures). I'd appreciate any help or guidance that you could provide.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-02-2016 20:36
It is for that very reason I obtained my Level III through ASNT's ACCP program. It adds legitimacy to the certification process and it is recognized internationally. It is just one more reason why I tell my clients to specify CP-189 rather than SNT-TC-1A when developing their project specifications.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Certifying a Self Employed ASNT Level III