Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Drying of vessel after pressure test
- - By Sambuddha (*) Date 03-04-2016 10:36
How to check vessel is dry after drying it by hot air
Parent - By Don56 (**) Date 03-11-2016 21:44
Open the manway, handhole, or inspection point and have a look.  Use a borescope if necessary.  How are you blowing the hot air through?
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 03-11-2016 23:10
Need a calibrated dewpoint meter if this a critical dry for something like anhydrous ammonia.
Or, you can find a portable meteorology device for cheap if you just want peace of mind.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1744944&type=product&MDK=dynbanP_DOb&MDC=cat104788080
Parent - - By Sambuddha (*) Date 03-15-2016 05:45
Here in Kolkata India in summer temparature is about more than 40 C with relative humidity some times more tha 90% .With use of Hygrometer if i found no change in relative humidity for a certain amount of time ,then is it ok
Parent - - By Trackergd (**) Date 03-15-2016 12:27
Sambuddha, Is there a particular specification you are working to?  What is going into the tank?   Might help if we had a few more details.  My concern is that the relative humidity (90%) might be higher than the specification or might react with what is going into the tank.
Parent - - By Sambuddha (*) Date 03-18-2016 07:33
Actually I have to dry a Air Cooled Heat Exchanger and it will go by sea and may take 1 month of sailing.It will be purged with Nitrigen after drying at 0.25Kg/cm2 pressure
Parent - By Trackergd (**) Date 03-18-2016 14:09
OK, that is a bit more clear.

In a former life working for Kidde, I inspected code pressure vessels (post code inspection at manufacturer) used for dry chemical systems.  We would run heat in them for a couple of days, then seal them up with a humidity sensor inside to ensure they were dry.  It's been about 10 years, but if memory serves me well, the spec was about 20% humidity.  We would then remove the sensor, drop in a large desiccant pack for transport to our main plant.  The change in temperature and humidity from Port Arthur Texas to winter in Pennsylvania was sometimes rather dramatic.

Hope this helps.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Drying of vessel after pressure test