Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Have ya ever seen a SAW operator with a AWS Certification?
- - By Bowler_Hat (**) Date 03-07-2016 20:12
Simple as that...have ya ever seen SAW operator with a AWS Certification?

Doesn't seem common to me...and highly specialized.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-08-2016 15:35 Edited 03-08-2016 15:39
If the SAW production is to be compliant with D1 than the operators need to be qualified eh?

We qualify our SAW operators (CJP single wire web/flange splice and twin wire fillets) to AWS D1.1 via third party inspectors and also to CWB W47 & W59 via CWB reps on site.

D1 Clauses 3 & 4 for sure treat SAW equally in the tables as far as essential variables.

It wasn't common for me until a few years ago :)     But I'm learning more every day....  In fact, just finished some new SAW procedure development that got through CWB approval on the first crack which was very happy making.

EDIT:   Dealing with high amperage SAW, lets say 750+ amps puts a whole new challenge to arc blow, work leads/grounding and flux fields, even with AC current, which on the face of things you would think impossible.  Very mysterious.
Parent - By Bowler_Hat (**) Date 03-09-2016 17:02
Ha...our lead wires usually stick between 850 and 900 amps...but all AC.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-08-2016 22:44
That partly depends, I do not believe that AWS certifies welders period let alone a particular process. 

Now, if we are talking about a SAW operator being qualified to AWS standards, especially D1.1, then the answer is 'ABSOLUTELY'!!

I personally was qualified to AWS D1.1 with SAW back in 1978-81 or 2.  We did flat on the pipe forming mills and horizontal on the tank shell plates on tanks in the field.

Specialized? Yes, in many respects but not really.  Go to FabTech and see all the applicable uses today for SAW.  Lots of companies are incorporating faster processes into their operations. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Bowler_Hat (**) Date 03-09-2016 17:03
There's only one 'Fab Tech' right? if not, where are the others eh?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-09-2016 18:14
Bring a coat :)

http://fabtechcanada.com/
Parent - - By Bowler_Hat (**) Date 03-11-2016 13:01
I lived in the U.P. of Michigan and miss it dearly. Need to get 'red leaf' certified so I can make the full move up there.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-11-2016 14:05
You betcha!  North Woods Fish Fry!

I was in Wisconsin from 2003-2013 and love summers up there...  The winters drove us to Texas :)

If you have CWB questions lemme know, all our structural plants are dual certified so I'm beginning to learn a good bit about Canadian standards; at least on the structural side.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-09-2016 19:51
FabTech rotates, Chicago every other year.  On the off years it is in Atlanta, GA one time and Las Vegas, NV the next. 

So, Chicago every other year, Atlanta and Las Vegas once every four years.

It is also in Mexico and Canada under different agreements.

Brent
Parent - By Bowler_Hat (**) Date 03-11-2016 13:01
Thank ya for that.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Have ya ever seen a SAW operator with a AWS Certification?