Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Bend Test Radii determination for AWS D17.1
- By Spainman7 Date 03-09-2016 16:36
Hello:

I'm looking for clarification (or a resource) on how to determine bend radii for specific alloys, primarily aluminum alloys, for qualification to AWS D17.1.
I am familiar with the Table C.2 in the code, and believe it to be pretty uninformative regarding bend factors for alloys not listed. Also, I can find no reference to the definition of "F" the bend factor, anywhere within the AWS specifications of D17.1, B2.1, or A3.0.  I believe it to describe the bend radius as a multiple of the specimen thickness. 

I do see in the notes of B4.0, Figure II-5B, Guided Bend Fixture, that the minimum bend diameter for any thickness specimen is determined by the formula A=(100TS/E)-TS, where A = bend diameter, E= min tensile elongation and TS = specimen thickness.  What I don't know is where to find out the minimum tensile elongation percentages for a specific alloy within any AWS specifications.  Sadly, I have found that few test labs and few CWI's are clear on this.

If someone could provide clarification and possibly a reference resource for this information, I'd be grateful.

Thanx,

Spainman7
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Bend Test Radii determination for AWS D17.1