Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Shielding gas validation
- - By Frank2008 Date 03-15-2016 05:29
Gentlemen,

Is there a code or specification that define the validation for shielding gas?

Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-15-2016 15:10
I'm not sure what you mean. There is a specification for shielding gases that provides the requirements for purity, moisture content, etc. It is AWS A5.32.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Frank2008 Date 03-16-2016 01:44
I mean the code mentions the expiration date for shielding gas in cylinder, if there is no mark on the cylinder from gas manufacturer.

Thanks.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-16-2016 02:40
There is no shelf life for the gas in the cylinders. They will last for many, many years.

It isn't like canned tuna fish.

Al
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 03-16-2016 03:11 Edited 03-16-2016 06:39
Al,
my forte:eek::twisted:
chemistry
in theory a new bottle of all pure argon
in rust free place, totally sealed
can last FOREVER
but that is just theory
never really know the facts
cause time is infinite, we are not:sad:
sincerely,
Kent
edit: same with pure helium
or ar-he mix
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-16-2016 11:40
Damn Kent! I expected to keep doing this forever. Now you tell me it ain't so.

Al:eek:
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 03-17-2016 07:34
Al,
life has an expiration date
but my granddaughter says I am 1,000,000 years old:eek::wink:
but we do have sometime here
so share the knowledge and enjoy life:smile:
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By 60John (*) Date 03-18-2016 19:34
Good to know my 30 year old bottle of Argon is still good. Last time I used it 20 years ago was to inert a motorcycle gas tank to heat straighten it.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-16-2016 16:02
The marks(date codes) stamped on the cylinder are from where the cylinder itself was tested, not the contents. Compressed gas cylinders have to be tested periodically to deem them safe to fill with compressed gasses.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 03-18-2016 14:15
On an Airgas fill plant tour they showed a CO2 bottle that had rotted clean through from the inside, in one small diameter spot about the size of a quarter on the base of the cylinder - thick metal there too.  They discovered it when they heard it leaking.  They cut the bottle open to investigate.  I imagine that eroding tank led to some contaminated gas for some time.
- By Frank2008 Date 03-16-2016 03:21
Thank you!
- - By Paladin (***) Date 03-16-2016 12:08
Unlike kcd616 who's forte is chemistry, staying with musical terms, I'm triple pianissimo, or maybe even Tacit in chemistry.

How about mixed gasses? Can gasses un-mix in the bottle?
Or is that a prank to get us non maestros to roll the bottle on the floor to re-mix it?

Floyd
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 03-16-2016 12:31
We have tested mixes after 10 years and they were well within A5.32 mix tolerance.  If the is made right in the beginning, it will last for a long time.
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 03-16-2016 14:39
I think you're kidding. But...there are federal requirements as well as OSHA requirements regarding cylinder usage and handling. 29 C.F.R for example. *note-if you are following Farm Code 2010 then these requirements are irrelevant

(2) When cylinders are hoisted, they shall be secured on a cradle, slingboard, or pallet. They shall not be hoisted or transported by means of magnets or choker slings.
(3) Cylinders shall be moved by tilting and rolling them on their bottom edges. They shall not be intentionally dropped, struck, or permitted to strike each other violently.
(4) When cylinders are transported by powered vehicles, they shall be secured in a vertical position.
(9) Compressed gas cylinders shall be secured in an upright position at all times except, if necessary, for short periods of time while cylinders are actually being hoisted or carried.
(c)(2) No person other than the gas supplier shall attempt to mix gases in a cylinder. No one except the owner of the cylinder or person authorized by him, shall refill a cylinder.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 03-16-2016 23:16
It's worth noting that contaminated gas is not rare, Frank2008, at least in standard cylinders sold by average gas suppliers. I get bad argon every few months. Even if there were some sort of validation program the guarantee of purity wouldn't be possible without testing the gas after filling the cylinder. Sometimes there's paint or oil from a hydrotest or new valve installation in the cylinder that contaminates the pure gas that they are filling it with. My supplier knows to try to send me old bottles if at all possible to keep down the number of returns.
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 03-17-2016 13:51
I have no doubt. My response was to rolling the cylinders around on the ground. I've had many discussions with our suppliers about putting quality gas in a contaminated cylinder, so I know what you are referring to. Unfortunately for them, our lab services and chemistry dept's are better and more capable than theirs. So when they play stupid - we can actually prove that they are.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 03-17-2016 13:54
To properly mix gasses in the cylinder, they must be rolled uphill preferably on gravel.
If allowed to roll downhill, this will "Unmix" them.:twisted::twisted::evil::evil:
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 03-17-2016 15:22
Should be added to Farm Code as "Superflux Gas Law"
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 03-17-2016 15:45
We used to do this with the lead Rad Source container that weighed 180 lbs when I worked wireline on drilling rigs. It was to "Activate the Neutrons"!
Poor FNG's would be out there on the well location grunting in dirt.
I felt bad for them...
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-17-2016 16:00
I'm pretty sure Superflux was the guy I met in the 80'z who made apprentices stand on their heads at the end of the day to drain the argon from their lungs after he taught them it was heavier than air.
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 03-18-2016 00:33
LMAO.
  M.G.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-18-2016 00:46
UUMM, then you probably saw me standing on my head... :confused:

Oh, wait a minute, 80z, I was a Journeyman Boilermaker before that..  there you go making me feel old again.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Shielding gas validation