Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tool to measure bevel angle...in small areas
- - By Bowler_Hat (**) Date 03-17-2016 15:40
Hey All,

I've got a bridge-cam, and an angle finder, but all of these are rather large and unable to be used to verify the joint geometry when the full joint can not be measured. Ex. Before fit up it's easy to  verify that the single V angle is 70° (35° on each bevel). But, if one must make a repair and open the groove back to 70° without the ability to separate the members, one can't fit the bridge came into the space provided.

So, my question to you in the field, is there a tool to measure a V-groove angle after the two halfs are brought together?

Cheers!
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 03-17-2016 15:57
Only other way I can think of is by Trig functions.
I so rarely use Trig that it is rather embarrassing.
UT Techs use 70° wedges a lot and probably could whip it out right off the top of their heads.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-17-2016 22:47
Check out GAL Gauge.  Pretty sure they have a mini Bridge Cam.  Outside of that, there are other fitters tools that are small and can be used but as I can't see the parts it is rather hard to make any suggestions.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 03-18-2016 01:45
Brent,
The Mini/Pocket Bridge Cam lives in my left front pocket when "on the job".
It really is not that much more agile in tight spots for bevel measurements.
I think in the Real World of "As Fit" conditions. I would take some preliminary measurements with a steel scale on some parts prior to assembly if at all possible and use my best judgement from there.
Is a couple of degrees over (I think 75° for increased access is better than a restrictive, say 61° bevel) going to result in a catastrophic failure with mass collateral damage?
IMHO, sometimes you just have to make concessions and use your best judgement.
Does this statement compromise my impeccable standards and ethics????
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-18-2016 01:53
If I understand you correctly you are absolutely right... one needs only check the parts prior to fit up and make sure the bevels are correct.

Now, the OP did say that this is a rework issue and there is no room to get anything in his possession in to check the bevel after backgouging and prior to reweld.  For the most part, that can be handled by VT.  Depends upon the application but making a perfect bevel with the air arc is not required with the amount of tolerances allowed in the codes.

Brent
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 03-18-2016 05:01
flux,
"Does this statement compromise my impeccable standards and ethics???"
nope... still my role model
except for that lack of bean counting:wink::twisted::evil::eek:....hehehehe
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-18-2016 01:55
So, suggestion, find a box, thinner cardboard works best, and cut it to fit in the groove reasonably tight.  Then, measure it.

Brent
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 03-18-2016 04:57
going old school here
combo square
protractor
use on both sides
works for what you need
hope this helps
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-18-2016 06:09
Kent,

notice his comments about where the work is and the application.  He can't get those items into place since it is already assembled and partly welded.  Wants to check the backgouged bevel angle.

Brent
Parent - By Trackergd (**) Date 03-18-2016 12:25
I have a Starrett 466 angle gauge set I took the screws out of and have the leaves in a little zipper bag.  Sometimes I can get them into tight spots to check angles.  It lives somewhere in the bottom of my bag for those rare occasions when nothing else will work.  Mitutoyo and Brown & Sharpe make angle blocks...a bit pricey...(says the guy who owns at least one of everything G.A.L. makes.... :grin:).

I have made quite a few of the cardboard gauges as well. :red:

Hope this helps.
- - By phinojosar (*) Date 03-18-2016 13:02
Probably this gauge can help you if the piece is thick enough or the repair deep enough.

http://www.universalweldgauge.com/

Either way love this gauge and will buy it as soon as possible!

Hope it helps, best regards
Parent - - By Trackergd (**) Date 03-18-2016 14:36
I have something like this to get a profile on wood trim.  Got it at Lowes.   Oh and thanks for showing me something else I'm going to have to buy.... :lol:  I'm a tool horder...:red:
Parent - By phinojosar (*) Date 03-18-2016 15:18
Same me! I am just waiting some relative to go US and bring it to me.:cry::cry:
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Tool to measure bevel angle...in small areas