Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Brazing Copper - Too Hot?
- - By Jrgrtx Date 03-20-2016 01:53
Good evening all.  I'm new here and first time poster.  I work in a facility that brazed a lot of copper for HVAC applications.  Recently, we experienced a rash of problems with a copper colored powder buildup inside the tubing at the braze joints.  The only change in our process was a change in the torch and a new "gas flux" system.  With this new torch and gas flux system, it's hard to tell when the copper is too hot.  I'm curious if something chemically is happening to the copper inside by getting it too hot.  If you get it too hot will it cause this powder to form on the copper inside?  This is brand new copper tubing and always cleaned to shine like a mirror with just a lint free cloth before brazing.  No cleaners are used or any other substance.  Thoughts?
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-20-2016 02:32
well i guess your buildup is some kind of chemical reaction...more then probable a buildup of oxidation.  A lot of flux based brazing will emit a white fluffy substance...this is a product of protecting the the "weld from oxygen"..  So you are brazing with a gas based shield/flux?   Not familiar with the method is why I ask.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-21-2016 01:42
Sounds like a good reason to qualify the process to verify the mechanical properties are still being met.

Al
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 03-22-2016 23:38
AWS B2.22/B2.2M:2010 Specification for Brazing Procedure and Performance Qualification is my choice, along with maybe the AWS Brazing Handbook.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Brazing Copper - Too Hot?