Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Orbital Welds
- - By mjgoessl Date 03-23-2016 17:13
Having some issues with orbital welds on SS 316L .065 wall tube. Weld coupon is coming out good. When a tube to fitting butt weld is made weld is going good and then it just dyes out and not penetrating. Sulfur contens are within the BPE acceptable range. Tube has a sulfur content of 0.014% and fitting is 0.010%. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - By WeldinFool (**) Date 03-23-2016 18:28
Are you using the same program for welding your coupon as you are for welding tube to fitting?
- - By mjgoessl Date 03-23-2016 19:42
Yes the same program is being used for both.
Parent - By Trackergd (**) Date 03-24-2016 11:48
I ran into an issue one time where the position of the gun and wear in the liner combined with some issues in the push/pull caused binding.  Is there any chance that the position for the coupon is different than when you do the weld where the gas line/wire feed can be kinked/bind?
Parent - By WeldinFool (**) Date 03-24-2016 18:19
What about your test coupons? I'm assuming you guys are running a bead on tube (BOT) to "coupon in" before beginning production for the day, and then you "coupon out" at the end of the shift (at least that was the drill when I was doing high-purity orbital welding) Are these test coupons of the same material thickness as your production materials? What I'm getting at is that my first guess would be your program isn't accounting for different material thicknesses encountered during production.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Orbital Welds